Chapter Twenty - Just the Beginning

December 1958

Jack peered down into the bassinet, his daughter smiling up at him. He put his hand down, only for one of his fingers to be grasped by her little fist.

An sense of calm overwhelmed him, and he felt as if he could stare down into the cradle for hours.

"Hello, my little Caroline." he said, "How are you today? I know you can't answer, but I hope that you are well, today and every day."

Jackie slept in a bed nearby, "Do you see your mummy? Don't you think she's beautiful?"

Jack sighed as he watched Caroline drift off to sleep. He flinched, his back was giving him trouble again, and he sat against the wall, which provided some comfort.

He thought of all the tedious tasks that lay before him, Caroline's christening for one, a family Christmas that would, no doubt, being much talk of a 1960 presidential run.

He closed his eyes, and focused on the important. Caroline. Jackie. And any other future children that they would welcome into the world.

Jack didn't think he wanted a family as big as Bobby's, which had burgeoned to a family of eight, including Bobby and Ethel, but he did want more children. At least four.

"Daydreaming?" Jack opened his eyes and looked up to see Jackie, sitting up in bed.

"Jackie." He smiled and stood up, with much struggle, "Can I get you anything?"

Jackie shook her head, "No, but I think you should lie down. Your back gets worse by the minute."

"I'm fine.", said Jack, "besides, it won't do to have a weak president, when the time comes."

Jackie managed a smile, and a small pause ensued before she spoke again, "Jack, I hope you're not being bullied into running."

"What?" asked Jack.

"I don't mean to offend you, but I fear that the presidency isn't in your heart, just your father's, and I don't want to be forced into doing something you don't love."

"On the contrary," said Jack, "I will be pleased when I've served my two terms and my father isn't on my back anymore."

"Jack, please be serious."

"Of course I'd rather live a simpler life! I wanted to be a Harvard professor before Joe died, but that life, as simply the brother of the president, died when Joe did."

Jack walked out of the room, his back pain overtaking him. He made his way to the living room to sit in a cushioned chair, and rubbed his temples, exhausted.

"It will be a stressful task."

Jack and Bobby walked the grounds of Hickory Hill, the laughs of Bobby's children sounding in the distance.

"I know that, Bobby." Jack said, "but I need to do it."

"Why?" asked Bobby, "You don't owe Dad anything."

"That isn't true. He's given us so many advantages to get us a head start in life, and you're only against him because he cast you off as the runt as a kid and you're still upset about it."