Chapter Twenty-Nine: Entente Cordiale

Paris, France
May 31, 1961

Jack and Jackie rode in the back of the car, large smiles on their faces. The French countryside was slowly beginning to fade away, and Paris lay ahead.

As they entered the city, crowds of people formed and cheered their names.

"It's as if we're movie stars," Jackie remarked, smiling and waving.

"Or royalty," said Jack, a smirk on his face.

Jackie smiled, "You know I covered Queen Elizabeth's coronation when I was a reporter, before we were married."

"I remember," said Jack, "You refused to answer my proposal until you got back."

Jackie laughed, "Yes."

They rode in silence for awhile, Jackie watching the crowds reflected in the glass of the car window.

"I still remember going to that coronation as if it were yesterday. How dignified and stately Queen Elizabeth looked, and how the crowds cheered for her."

Jackie closed her eyes and remembered the cameras flashing and Queen Elizabeth sitting down on that grand, magnificent throne.

"It was like a fairytale, like..."

"Magic?"

Jack finished her sentence and took her hand, "Now, my love, we're the fairytale."

Jackie smiled, "Thank you."

"For what?" Jack asked, confused.

"For a marriage," said Jackie, kissing Jack's hand.

He smiled, and he looked out the windows. The crowds had passed. They were here.

Jackie exited the car, De Gualle greeted them, kissing Jackie's hand and shaking Jack's. The normal formalities proceeded, with Jackie charming everyone she met speaking perfect French.

Jack watched her in awe. Since John Jr. had been born, Jackie had retreated into herself. Now, she was on full display, enabled with charm. She was...he struggled to think of the right word...glorious.

"We have so much planned for you," said De Gualle, "I'm glad you're staying for so long, so that you can take in our country."

"We're very happy to be here," said Jackie, "And to represent the United States in this way."

De Gualle smiled, "I have always admired your country," he said, "France revolted because we were inspired by you. By the promise of liberty and the idea that even powerful kings could be overthrown."

Jackie smiled, "But if I remember my history lessons correctly, it wasn't quite as easy a path for France as it was for us?"

De Gualle shook his head, "No, Napoleon and his descendants tried to chain us again. But democracy prevailed. Always."

Jack smirked. Jackie was well versed in French history, she had had a long time fascination with the country. She knew all about Napoleon, but she had played dumb to help De Gualle's ego.