Chapter Twenty-Five: Breaking Point - Part Two

Washington, D.C.
January 20, 1960

Jackie buttoned up her coat, put on her hat, and looked in the mirror. She thought she looked pretty, at least, she hoped she looked pretty. She could never tell anymore.

"I wish you would stop looking into that mirror," said Jack, leaning against the doorway, "You always think you're not pretty enough, even though you're the prettiest woman in the country."

Jackie smiled, "Only you think that."

"Only me and every man in the country," said Jack, "They say one of the reasons I won was because every woman in the country loves me and every man in the country loves you."

"Well, it's a formula that works," said Jackie, giving her husband a sly glance.

Jack smiled, but then felt some pain in his back and sat down in the chair at the dressing table. Jackie frowned and knelt down by her husband, combing her hands in his hair.

"Oh, Jack," said Jackie, "You're not well."

"I'm fine," said Jack. Jackie gave him a dubious glance, and he rolled his eyes, "Alright, I'm as fine as I can be. But you can't worry all the time, you'll get wrinkles ten years before you should."

Jackie laughed, "I don't care about the wrinkles, I care about you. I love you. I want you to make it through this presidency alive."

Jack smiled and patted his knee, Jackie sat on his lap.

"Look at me," said Jack, Jackie looked him in the eyes, "I'm going to be just fine. I think you know by now that I'm a survivor, and so are you. And we're going to survive all the stress and all the worry together."

Jackie smiled and pressed her forehead against his, "Whatever you say, Mr. President."

The cold winter air didn't bring a chill to Jack today. He looked up at Lyndon, who was being sworn in, then he looked over at Bobby, who was grimacing.

Bobby hated Lyndon, and everybody knew it, but today his disgust seemed to have grew in the last day since Jack had seen him.

It felt like Bobby's entire body was on fire. He was so angry that it was all he felt. Angry at Ethel, angry at his father, even angry with Jack. His marriage was falling apart, and it was all their fault.

It was Jack's turn. He walked up to the podium and watched as Jackie picked up the Bible and held it out, Jack looked at her, and she winked; he smiled.

Jack couldn't even hear the Chief Justice, but he had his part memorized, he had practiced it in his head for the past few months. It was time.

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States."

There was thunderous applause as the Chief Justice shook his hand and congratulated him. Jackie smiled and put down the Bible and kissed him on the cheek.

"Congratulations, Mr. President," she whispered. It was the first time someone called him that after being sworn in.

Now, it was time for Jack's speech. He went up to the podium and looked out at the crowd down below, then at the cameras. He knew that thousands of people were watching at home.

"My fellow Americans," he began.

Joe leaned into Bobby, who was sitting next to him, "This is the moment we've all been waiting for," he said, "And you helped get us here. Be proud of yourself."

Bobby looked at his father, "Are you proud of me?"

Joe looked at his son, "Why does that matter?"

"Because if you aren't proud of me then what the hell has this all been for?"

"Excuse me?"

Bobby looked at Ethel, and then at Jack, "Do you know how hard it was for me, to grow up knowing that you loved everyone of your other children more than me?"

Joe sighed, "Bobby, I-"

"No," said Bobby, "I get to talk now, for once. Now, I sacrificed everything just to make you say that you were proud, that I had done something to make you proud. I love Jack, I do, but now my marriage is on the line, my family."

"What are you saying?" asked Joe.

"That after this term, I'm out. I'm not going to do anything else for you, I don't want to. Because you're not worth it, and I can't believe I'm only just now realizing it."

Bobby turned back to face Jack, who was still speaking, "And do so, my fellow Americans, ask not what you can do for your country, ask what you can do– ask not what you can do for your country, ask what you can do for your country. Fellow citizens of the world, ask what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.
Finally, whether you are a citizen of America, or citizen of the world, ask us of the same high standards of strength, sacrifice, which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with the history the final judge of our deeds, let us forth to lead land we love. Asking His blessing, His help, but knowing that here on earth God's work must be truly your own. Thank you."

Jack, Jackie, Ethel, Bobby, Rose, and Joe made their way into the Oval Office, champagne glasses in their hands.

"Jack, what are we doing?" asked Rose.

"I wanted a moment alone with my family," said Jack, "And I wanted to make a toast that was just for us."

Joe smiled, and Jack motioned towards him, "Dad?"

Joe shook his head, "Your house, son."

Jack was taken aback, his father had never passed up the chance to make a toast.

"Well," said Jack, "First of all, to my lovely wife, and the new First Lady of the United States of America."

Jackie smiled, and Jack continued, "To our two beautiful children. To Mom and Dad. And to Bobby."

Bobby looked up at his brother, "Bobby, you were never expecting to be in the political game this way, but once you realized how essential you were to the family, and to this campaign, and to me, you stood up and did a hell of a job of it. I wouldn't be here without you."

Bobby smiled, and they all raised their glasses, "To the Kennedys," said Bobby.

"To the Kennedys," the others echoed and glasses began to clink together and the family began to laugh and chat.

And Bobby could feel something inside of him, a duty, a loyalty, that he realized he would always be stuck with.

And it was awful, and wonderful, but he would never escape it. He looked over at Ethel, who was clearly feigning happiness. She looked at him, and he smiled at her, but she turned away.

He was alone.