Chapter Twenty-Six: The Call For Loyalty

October 24, 1962

"This is a special report from CBS news."

The television flickered to life just as Walter Cronkite began to give a special bulletin.

"Good evening this is Walter Cronkite from CBS news headquarters, in New York. At its beginning this day looked like it might be one of armed conflict between Soviet vessels and American warships in sea lanes leading to Cuba. But there has been no confrontation as far as we know and some hope has been generated from suggestions of negotiations. The latest bid for a peaceful settlement came tonight from the acting Secretary General of the United Nations."

Jack let Cronkite drone on, but he could barely listen. This wasn't over yet, it was far from over. Jack picked up the nearest book and threw it across the room.

"Damn it!" Jack yelled; the book crashed into a vase, which tipped off a table and broke.

Bobby walked in, files in hand, "Anger isn't the answer, Jack."

"Anger isn't the answer?" asked Jack, his agitation increasing as each second passed, "Then what is the answer, Bobby? I don't have any."

Bobby sighed, "I know that this is a difficult time, I understand that."

"A difficult time? Bobby, I've put this country on the brink of nuclear war!"

"Now Jack, you've got to stop being so hard on yourself. Russia was the one who planted their missiles in that godforsaken country. Castro's letting it happen. That's not your fault."

"But Bobby," said Jack, putting his hands through his hair in a frantic manner, "They're only doing it because of the damn Bay of Pigs!"

Bobby took a deep breath, "I know it's bad, but I'm afraid I have some more bad news for you."

Jack shook his head, "If it's about Cuba, I-"

"It's not about Cuba," said Bobby, "It's about Jackie."

Jack stopped in his tracks, and turned away from his brother and looked out the window.

"The press is beginning to realize she's still in Virginia, despite the situation."

"Shit," said Jack under his breath.

"We could pass it off as a vacation when things weren't going to hell, but now? People are going to know things aren't alright between the two of you."

Jack pushed back tears, "It's all such a fucking mess, Bobby."

He turned to his brother, tears now openly pouring down his face, "I've ruined everything. This presidency. This country. My marriage."

"Oh, Jack," said Bobby, going to his brother's side, "Everything's going to be alright. It all seems big now, but we're going to get through this. One step at a time."

Jack finally broke down, and Bobby hugged him. Though he comforted Jack externally, internally he couldn't help but feel that everything Jack said was right. Somehow everything had flipped itself since the beginning of the presidency.

Jack was miserable. Bobby was happy. And the administration was in tatters.

February 1961
One year ago