A Kennedy Christmas

December, 1960
Palm Beach, Florida

Jack and Caroline watched as the Christmas tree was brought into the circle drive at their Palm Beach home.

"Daddy! Daddy! Look at how big the tree is!" said Caroline, excitement in her eyes.

"I see, sweetie," Jack bent down to Caroline's level, "Did you know that in a few days the entire family will be here and we'll decorate that very tree?"

"Yay!" exclaimed Caroline, "Will Uncle Bobby be here?"

"Yes, and your Aunts Jean, Patricia, and Eunice, and Uncle Teddy, too! Doesn't that sound fun?"

Caroline nodded her head, and Jack began to tickle her. The little girl's laughter filled the air, so much so that her mother could hear it from the bedroom upstairs.

There was a knock on the door, and Jackie looked up from her book. She was on bed rest after having John Jr, and books were the only thing that kept her sane.

She looked up to see Rose standing in the doorway with a breakfast tray. Jackie smiled, "Hi."

"Hi," said Rose, bringing Jackie the tray, "How are you?"

Jackie sat up a bit more as Rose lowered the tray, "I'm fine."

"Really?" asked Rose, sitting on the bed, "Because you and Jack have been here for two weeks and you haven't been quite yourself."

Jackie began to break down, and she held back tears, "It's been so hard, Rose, since John Jr. was born. It's like I've lost myself. In the crowds, in the election, it's all so suffocating."

"I know how you feel," said Rose.

Jackie looked up, "Really?"

Rose nodded, "After Jack was born, it was like I didn't know who I was anymore. Life seemed to be passing by while I just sat there, feeling like a sham. But, I want you to know that it gets better."

Rose put her hand on Jackie's, "I won't lie and say it'll go away in one day, but it will pass and you will be happy again."

Jackie nodded, "Thank you, Rose."

"You should've seen Caroline this morning," said Jack, "All smiles and laughs."

Jackie smiled, "I think she's old enough now to really enjoy Christmas."

"When you feel better you should come downstairs and see her and the baby. I think it'll do more good for you than lying in bed all day will."

"I don't think so." said Jackie, beginning to wring her hands together.

Jack looked over at Jackie, "Jackie? Are you alright?"

Jackie shook her head, "No, I'm not alright, I'm awful."

Jack sat beside Jackie in bed and cradled her head, "I feel so useless," said Jackie, "As if I'm nothing but a waste of space, a waste of time. As if I'm nothing."

"Oh Jackie," said Jack, "Look at me, look at me."

Jackie looked up at her husband, "You are not nothing. You're everything to me, and you're Caroline's entire world. She can't go one minute without asking after you. It's ridiculous."

Jackie smiled, "Do you really think so?"

"I know so." Jack smiled and hugged Jackie, and they laid there for the rest of the night, together, as one.

Joe and Rose sat in the living room, surrounded by their family. They both remembered past Christmases, before the children had married and had children. They were fond memories, but they didn't quite compare to the scene before them.

Their grandchildren sat on the floor, each carefully examining their presents, trying to figure out what could possibly be inside. Their own children were scattered about the room, laughing and talking with one another.

"Okay everyone!" said Joe, "Let's take a family picture."

Everyone began to get up and formed a large clump in the middle of the room. There was incessant chatter as everyone tried to arrange themselves in a somewhat decent way.

"Alright," said Joe, positioning the camera, "everybody smile and say: 'Kennedy'!"

"Kennedy," they family said, and the camera flashed, capturing a moment.

As the family dispersed, Jackie sat down at the piano; she looked exhausted. Jack sat down next to her.

"I'm glad you felt up to coming down tonight," he said.

Jackie smiled, "Could I really have missed that?" she asked, pointing to Caroline who was jumping about with her cousins, anxiously waiting to open her presents.

Jack smiled and put his hands on the piano, "Come on," he said, "Let's entertain them."

Jackie shook her head, "I don't even think I remember how."

"Of course you do," said Jack, "Now come on, let's play a carol."

They began to play Hark the Herald Angels Sing in perfect harmony. The entire family gathered round the piano and began to sing.

Hark the herald angels sing!
Glory to the newborn King!

On and on into the night, until everything faded away, into a memory.