Chapter Ten - Alone

Boston, Massachusetts

Two Days Since Jack Went Missing

Joe Sr. walked down the street anxiously. The weather matched his mood, gray clouds with a light fog. He stopped as he looked up at the the tall cathedral and he took in a deep breath.

"I haven't told my wife yet."

Now he was in a priest's office, solemnly looking at him from across the table.

"And why is that?"

Joe Sr. looked up, "What?"

"Why didn't you tell your wife about John?"

"Well, we just started to rebuild our marriage after a rough spot and I faked his papers to get Jack into the navy. Rose was angry with me because Jack was so weak growing up. She didn't think he'd be able to survive."

At this point, Joe Sr. felt tears pouring down his face.

"We was such a frail kid. There were times when I didn't think he would live. And I could've stopped it, but I didn't. I killed my son."

"Never say that. This isn't your fault. And he may not be dead. You said he's still missing?

Joe Sr. nodded, "Yes."

"Then there's only one thing I can tell you that will truly help you. Tell your wife."

Joe Sr. looked up, "What?"

"It seems to me, Joe, that Rose is a forgiving person. I think she'd want to face this together. With you. Lying to her makes the situation worse. Tell her. Before it's too late."

Joe Sr. nods and thinks of Jack, in that water, alone, maybe even hurt. Those crashing waves, and Jack sinking.

Pacific Ocean

12 Hours Since PT-109 Was Hit

Jack clung to the bow of the ship. He looked from side to side and saw his friends, his crew mates, struggling to hold on. It was afternoon, he could tell from the sun. They had been floating for so long, he realized they couldn't survive here much longer.

He examined the situation, "Everyone listen!" He yelled, "Soon this entire thing is going to sink. We need to start swimming for it!"

The crew mates conferred, and soon everyone had agreed. Jack looked over to see Patrick, clinging on to dear life, badly burned.

He looks hurt, "Patrick?"

Patrick looks over at Jack, and smiles, almost an accepting one, "Jack." He looked down at his injury, "Of course I was the only in the engine room."

He laughed, and Jack's heart sunk, "Come on, Patrick, you can make it!"

Patrick shook his head, "I can't swim like this."

Jack sighed, "Then I'll help you."

Jack turned to the rest of the crew, "Alright! Let's start swimming!"