Chapter Twelve - War, And Peace

Hyannis Port, Massachusetts - December 1944

Jack sat on the couch, reading a book. The house was eerily quiet and, for the first time since Joe Jr. died, he felt an overwhelming sense of calm. The phone broke the silence, with a loud ring. Rose had taken his siblings to mass, and Joe was walking the beach like he has every day for the last month. Jack got up and answered the phone.

"Kennedy Residence, John speaking."

"Jack?" He heard Kick's whimpering voice on the other end.

"Kick. I can't believe it, you never call!"

"I'm sorry, I've been busy, that's all." Jack noticed the sadness in his sister's voice, one that he hadn't heard since they were leaving London.

"Kick, what is it?"

"Billy's dead, Jack."

Kick sniffed on the other end, and Jack felt overwhelmed, again.

"Oh God. How?"

"A sniper hit him while he was flying. I found out in September."

"September? Why didn't you call sooner?"

"I needed time to get through the initial shock, and after that we had to sort out the will."

"We?"

"Billy's family and me."

"I see, what did you get?"

"A widow's dowry, but I lost the titles, Jack. Since Billy and I had no children."

"Who did it go to?"

"His brother."

"This isn't right. You lost your husband and now your means of living."

"They were nice and let me keep the London townhouse. I have a place to stay."

"What do you mean? You're not coming home?"

"Why would I come home?"

"Kick, your husband's dead. Don't you want to be with your family."

He heard Kick began to cry, "Oh Jack of course I do, but I couldn't. Not with Mama there."

"Kick—"

"No, I have a firm resolve about this. Yes, my husband is dead. But Mama turned against me simply because I loved him. I'm not ready to forgive her yet. Not when she practically disowned me."

Jack sighed, "Alright, if that's what you want."

"It isn't, but I'll deal with it."

"Can I at least tell her about his death?"

"Of course. I don't want to leave them in the dark. How is everyone, anyway?"

"Not good. Dad's in a bad place, he doesn't even say grace at the dinner table anymore and Mom goes to church every afternoon. They aren't on good terms."