Chapter Twenty-Four: Breaking Point - Part One

January 20, 1961
Washington, D.C.

Dwight D. Eisenhower took out his handkerchief and coughed into it. Today was going to be a difficult day and he knew he would have to smile, get through the ceremony, then get the hell home.

"Really, Ike. I thought you'd be happier about this," said Mamie, walking over to her husband, "You like Kennedy, and he's not an awful man, anyways."

"It's not Kennedy," said Ike, "I think it's just finally hitting me that after today I will never sit in that office again. That I'll never issue another executive order. It's hard to give up something you love so damn much."

"I know darling, but at least now we'll have plenty of time alone," Mamie wrapped her arms around her husband, standing by him, looking into the mirror, "Just think of all the opportunities."

"What opportunities?" asked Ike, "When I look into this mirror all I see is a wrinkly old man, tired and no good for anything."

"That's not what I see," Mamie replied, a twinkle in her eye, "What I see is the bright young man I fell in love with. All spunk, all confidence, no sadness."

Ike took one last look in the mirror and heaved a heavy sigh that portrayed sadness and exhaustion all at once, "I'm afraid that young man is long gone, Mamie, and he's never coming back."

Ike stepped away from the mirror and moved towards the door.

"Ike?" said Mamie, looking at her husband with nothing but love and concern in her eyes.

Ike turned around, acknowledging her desire to say more.

"I may have fallen in love with the young man, but I married Dwight D. Eisenhower. I promised to love and accept him no matter what. Even when he grew old, and wrinkly, and tired. I love you, Ike, always."

Ike smiled, "Ditto."

"Mr. President?" The butler had poked his head into the room.

"Use it while you can, Eugene, the title won't belong to me for much longer."

"Vice President Nixon is requesting to see you in the Oval Office."

"Now?" asked Ike, a little bit of dread entering his heart.

"He said it was of the utmost importance, sir."

Ike nodded, and went to kiss Mamie on the cheek, "Wish me luck," he whispered after doing so, "I may have a few more gray hairs when I get back."

Mamie laughed and watched her husband leave the room, perhaps even with a little skip in his step, as if the president had made way for the young man.

Ike walked in to the Oval Office to find Richard Nixon sitting at his desk.

"What the hell are you doing, Richard?" asked Ike, the feeling of dread increasing by the second.

"What d'you think I'm doing, Ike?" A long silence ensued, until Richard into an almost maniacal laughter, "I'm acting presidential!"