Chapter Twenty-One: A Time For Greatness

November 8, 1960 - Hyannis Port

Jack looked out at the pristine calm of the ocean, taking deep breaths. The nerves were eating him alive, and the pretty volunteer inside wasn't helping.

"Did you want to get away from the nerves, too?"

Jack turned around to see Bobby, sporting his usual look: sweater vest, dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and slacks. He smiled, he was remembering when Bobby was little, how hard he would try to keep up with the rest of them.

"Yeah, I did." Jack replied, "I keep seeing my life flash before my eyes. I see Joe, and Kick, and all of the beautiful scenes that compose my youth... our youth."

"There's one scene in particular I'll always remember.", said Bobby.

"Really, what is it?"

"It was after the Spanish incident at the dinner table," said Bobby, "You took me for a walk and told me stories about King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. I loved those walks, I always felt so safe."

Jack smiled, and they stood in silence for awhile.

"Do you think I'll make a good President?", Jack asked.

"Jack, if you're as good a President as you are a brother, you're going to be the best damn president this country has ever seen."

Jack smiled, "Just think of where we were a few years ago, how far we've come."

November 1958

"I can't do it!", Joan Bennett was frantic, twisting the engagement ring on her finger round and round so harshly it was creating a callous, "I can't marry him, I barely know him!"

"Joan, please, calm down!" Jean ran to her future sister-in-law's side, "It's normal for a bride to have some pre-wedding jitters, but this is ridiculous!"

"That's because they aren't just pre-wedding jitters! I can't do this Jean, I barely know Teddy, and yet I'm supposed to marry him tomorrow!"

"Maybe you haven't known him long, but Teddy is a sweetheart, and Dad has very high hopes for him. A senate run is in the works, don't you know."

"I don't care if he might be a prominent politician someday, I've never cared about all that."

"But it's definitely a bonus," said Jean, "and besides, what do you have to lose? If it doesn't work out you can just divorce him."

"You make it sound so simple." said Joan.

"That's because it is!" said Jean as she poured herself a glass of wine, "Not marrying Teddy would be the worst mistake of your life."

"You're damn right it would be." Jean and Joan turned to see Joe standing at the door.

"Dad." said Jean, "Joan and I were ju–"

"Go downstairs, Jean." said Joe, "I need to talk to Joan. Alone."

Jean put down the glass of wine and squeezed Joan's shoulder, "Good luck." she whispered under her breath, before shutting the door behind her.

"Joan." said Joe, his voice cold, stern. Determined. "You will marry my son tomorrow, or you'll face the consequences."

"What consequences? This is hardly the nineteenth century, I can't be bought and sold like a mule."

"You made an agreement with my son to marry him, and you need to honor that agreement!"

A long silence followed, with Joan staring down Joe, almost as determined as he was.

"Besides, the wedding's tomorrow. It's too late to back down. Your reputation would be ruined. No one wants to marry the girl who left a man at the alter."

Joan sat down, mulling things over in her brain. Joe examined her. The toughest woman he had ever faced was Jackie, and even she hadn't been able to resist the money he had offered her to stay with Jack through the presidency.

"You're not going to win this." said Joe, lighting a cigar, "You aren't strong enough. You're scared."

Joan began to shake, nervous and scared about what might happen next.

"I-I know you're not used to hearing no, but..."

"But what?" asked Joe, "You think I'll hear it from you?" Joe puffed out smoke, "Just marry him, Joan, you won't regret it. Especially not when you see the monthly check I'll be happy to send in."

Joan considered this, and, seeing no other option, spoke, "Fine. I'll marry your son. But I want one thousand dollars a month, and a Christmas bonus."

Joe laughed, "Sure, Joan, if that's your price, then I'll pay it."

He put out the cigarette, smiled, and walked out of the room. Left alone, Joan realized she was shaking. She looked towards the half full bottle of wine Jean had left behind, got up, poured herself a glass, and, despite the fact that she had never considered drinking before, took a long swig of it.

And, suddenly, she felt more relaxed.

1960 - The Present

Joan looked down at the baby in her hands, she was carrying her throughout the house, showing her off to the campaign workers. Kara was only nine months old, but small for her age.

Joan made her way to the center of the house, where which was, for now, campaign headquarters. She was looking for Teddy, whom she had managed to build a relatively happy life with.

She glanced across the room and saw him-flirting... with a campaign volunteer. She rushed out of the room and went upstairs to her bedroom.

She sat Kara down on one of the beds and went over to the bottle of whiskey on the table. She didn't even bother to put herself a glass, she just took a long swig.