Chapter 33

Sorry to give you a filler chapter free making you wait forever.
••I'm the editor, I was going to draw the little pictures described in this story, but I ended up drawing this instead so...••

Y/N POV
"London?! You expect me to go with three children to another country with zero notice?"
"Yes." They replied in unison.
"Do you think I'm crazy?"
"Yes." They all replied again.
"Hmm, maybe crazy for L," Mello responded.
"Well there's no way. I have a life, and a job, and friends to get back to. Also I don't have any luggage, and I don't look presentable for L."
"Oh come on, you're dating. I'm sure he's seen you at your worst before." Matt replied.
"How do I even know you're telling the truth? You could just be three cocky children dragging me on a wild goose chase."
"We're not cocky," Matt glared at me, looking up from his handheld video game for once.
"We're not children," followed Mello.
"This isn't a goose chase," finished Near.
"Whatever, if I'm going to trust you three enough to take me all the way to London, then at least let me stop home."
At this point the four of us had reached the train station. After waiting a few minutes, the train arrived. We sat in an uncomfortable silence for a while.
"You're thin, like really skinny," Near blurted out. Mello sighed at Near's bluntness.
"You should eat food," he continued.
"I do eat... food," I scanned my mind for my last real meal. It was about five days ago.
"Are you bulimic?"
"Oh my god Near! Shut up, it's none of your business!" Mello loudly whispered, mindful of the other people on the train.
"No, I'm not throwing up my meals...but," I paused, recapping the past few days," but I haven't eaten a proper one in five days..."
"Look what you did now she's opening up to us," Mello scolded. "This is strictly a business trip. We aren't to be considered your friends," He added.
"Never mind I'm not having this conversation with you. I'm completely fine."
☀︎ ☁︎Time skip☁︎ ☀︎
"I'm sorry please re-explain," Lizzie hadn't really heard clearly the first time I explained since the first time I explained I was running around the house, frantically packing.
"Okay, Lizzie, this is Near, Matt, and Mello," I pointed to the three boys whilst saying their names. "They're... L's cousins." Lizzie glanced at the boys then back to me. "They're not related by blood. They're related by marriage which is why they don't look like him.
"I see... Nice you meet you," Lizzie slighted bowed her head, and the boys repeated her action. Lizzie continued to examine the boys.
"I have to fly over to London with them to settle some legal documents in regards to Lawliet's passing. I'll be gone two weeks at most, so there's no need to worry."
"Alright then I guess. When's your flight?" She asked.
"Oh! Today, tonight," I smiled, unsure of the true time. We haven't even bought tickets yet. Or at least I haven't, maybe these kids have.
"Okay, um...goodbye I guess then. I'll tell Charlotte what's going on when she gets back from the store," Lizzie gave me a hug then waved me goodbye. I returned her actions then dragged my luggage out the door.
☀︎ ☁︎Time skip because who need another train scene? ☁︎ ☀︎
Well crap. Our five o' clock flight starts boarding in seven minutes, and we just got to the security line. There were about nine people in front of us.
... Eight people... Seven people... Six people... Five people...
We were now close enough to shove our bags onto the metal slab. I watched intently as bag after bag disappeared into black rubber flaps on a conveyer belt. One by one they slid out of the other end of the metal box.
Beep...Beep...Beep...
The security monitor beeped as every person walked through along with a green light lit up on the right of the machine.
"Next," The woman working the contraption called, gesturing her hand to guide me forward.
I stepped through the censor. The green light flashed, and I went to collect my items at the end of the belt. I hurried my three followers to pick up the pace as we rushed to gate twelve.
When we arrive at the gate, a woman who worked there spoke into the microphone.
"If you have just arrived and are going on a flight to Manchester, your gate has changed to gate four due to difficulties with the previous plane. Thank you!"
I sighed before escorting the boys across the airport. Finally we have arrived to gate four. Another woman spoke into the microphone.
"If you were previously going on a flight to Hong Kong, China, your gate has been moved to gate nine, due to difficulties with other planes. Thank you!"
I sat down on one of the black seats in the gate, setting my luggage in front of me. Matt, Mello, and Near followed my actions.
"See our flight got delayed. I told you I'd be fine," I smiled at them.
...
...
...
No one spoke...
...
...
...
"Come on guys! Don't be so sour."
...No Response...
"Seriously it all work-"
"If you had just remembered your phone, we wouldn't have had to rush all the way back from the train station. Then we had to run back to the train station and wait 20 minutes for the next train to arrive!" Matt raised his voice a bit.
"I'm sorry... I didn't mean to cause so much trouble for you three. It's because," I paused to think of my upcoming words," I'm so overwhelmed. I...The... I thought the man I loved- love has been dead for months. Then today at his FUNERAL I figure out he's just fine, living on the other side of the world. He's just fine, without me. I didn't even get a call or a reassurance then he was still alive. That stupid text wasn't enough. I'm just questioning his commitment to our relationship." My eyes began to water. I processed all the words I had just spewed out. Emotions I didn't even know I was feeling.
Once again we returned to the familiar silence from before.
I apologized for the thousandth time today. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't vent my problems to you guys. Your just kids...."
"Yeesh..." That came from Matt.
"Well, first of all, we aren't kids," Mello responded.
"Okay, are you adults?" I asked.
"...well not physically, but I'm well over 18 mentally," Mello can't continued to defend his pride.
"So... You're kids," I ended it there.
"Anyways there was a reason why he did what he did. It'll all make sense once we get there and see him," Mello actually sounded somewhat comforting. It was slightly surprising. I mean, between Mello, Near, Matt, and Lawliet, Mello is the only one with somewhat decent social skills. He gave me a reassuring smile which looked out of place on Mello's face. I don't think this kid smiles too often.
I returned the smile. Shortly after, the plane was ready to board. I paid for my own first class ticket. The boys offered pay for me, but I refused. It's not like they were paying for it, their orphanage would be, but I don't know. It just felt wrong. If I wasn't traveling with them I would've bought business class. But no, I had to protect my ego, and show these children I wasn't that broke. Well, I mean, I'm fairly financially stable. Yeah, I know that was a dumb waste of money. But hey! It's the first time in a while that I'm flying first class in a long time.
Near and I sat in the two seats on the second row, and Matt and Mello sat on the pair of seats to the right of us. I guess it's kinda good we're flying first class so it's won't be three people in one row and one person sitting with strangers. It's nice that it's two and two.
Within the first fifteen minutes after taking off, Near pulled out a small puzzle. It's was just slightly smaller than the little table connected to the seat in front of us. The pieces were tiny and all white.
After roughly ten minutes of watching Near quickly solve about half the puzzle, I got kinda bored. I smiled at the flight attendant as he offered dinner to us. The following hours were filled with me playing puzzle games on my phone.
We're four hours into the flight, and I'm bored. The sun set about fifteen minutes ago. Near finished his puzzle long ago.
...
Finally after five hours in, we have to stop in Amsterdam. There's a one hour layover. We stepped off the plane, luggage in hand. "Anyone hungry? We can stop for food or something..." I trailed off.
"No thank you, I'm okay," Mello replied first.
"Same here," Matt agreed.
Near just nodded.
So we just waited for an hour at the gate. The three boys whispered quietly to each other as I sat off to the side, pretending to be comfortable.
◎◎◎◎◎Time Skip◎◎◎◎◎
We're six hours into the flight. It's midnight in Japan... I haven't slept at all on the plane, yet I'm not even tired. Though I've been next to this kid for six hours, I haven't talked to him once on this entire flight. Why not make some conversation?
"So... Where do you live? Sorry, that sounds weird. I meant like in Japan or England... or somewhere else."
"England," he replied, not caring enough to even glance back up to me.
"Ah... If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?"
"Thirteen." His answers were short and straight to the point. Near clearly doesn't have great social skills... A flight attendant broke our uncomfortable silence by offering drinks and snacks to passengers.
Eight hours in, eventually I got bored with watching through the window. For a while I've been looking out the window for something more interesting than what's enclosed inside the walls of this plane. Black skies and bright stars covered every inch of the outside. Near, Matt, and Mello had all fallen asleep around an hour and a half ago as they should have. They're young boys most likely doused in exhaustion. In fact, they should had fallen asleep long ago.
Nine hours in, I'm unexplainably bored. I'm too awake to sleep, but I'm too tired to do real work. The planes dim lighting and the never completely silent atmosphere made me somewhat comfortable. Everyone around me was asleep, so I was left alone with my thought. That's the last thing I wanted; to think.
The thought of Lawliet was unbearable. I'm completely unsure as to what's going to happen upon our reunion. I want the loving embrace. I was his warm body to secure me tight as though it's just us against the rest of the world. I want to be held close after jumping into his arms. I want the cliché running towards each other, and romantic hand holding, and quick kisses, and small sweet gifts, and I want to be a couple again. I want that more than anything else in existence.
But that's not how it works. Because I'm angry. Angry that he left me in the cold, dark, storm of grief. Angry that I had no one to run to, or that I walked down the streets of Tokyo with no one's hand to hold, or that no one planted quick kisses on my lips, or that I wasn't given a small sweet gift on Valentine's Day because on Valentine's Day I was under the illusion that my boyfriend was dead. And scared, scared that he doesn't love me as much as he once did. I don't want to be alone, and confused, and cold again.
See? These were the thoughts I didn't want...
I spent the a lot of the flight trying unsuccessfully to doze off. I tried to read too, but I ended up just kept getting distracted by the artwork on the cover. I decided I wanted to draw. I pulled out my sketchbook and began to draw mini caricatures of the people around me.
First I drew Near, one of his legs bent with his knees close to his face. The other leg lay bent under him. One arm was loosely set atop his knee, and a small stream of drool exited his mouth.

Next I drew Mello and Matt. Mello's head leaned off to the right, resting on the planes wall. Oddly enough, his legs were crossed, which looked slightly uncomfortable. Matt's head was leaning against Mello's shoulder. His video game device was held dear to to his chest as though his life depended on it.
These kids were odd. They sat in first class, with the full ability to recline their chair all the way backward into a bed, yet they all kept their seats as chairs. None of them had blankets either, despite the cool air. Maybe they're used to it; they do live in England after all.
I continued to draw mini pictures of the people in my surroundings. I ended up drawing a business man, a pair of twins, a mother and her baby, and two rebellious looking teenagers sitting behind me.
The teenagers were a couple. A cutesy coupled, locked in the honeymoon stage. I somewhat envied it. It was something I longed to be.
Ugh... It's already 4:00 am, and somehow I'm awake yet exhausted. I glanced at the boy to my left... Near. He's very similar to L. He has odd habits. He always seems to have toys with him. He wears what looks to be pajamas all the time.
I held no interest in these things though. It was his hair. How is his hair white? Like I've seen premature gray. (Like on a specific fictional professional ice skater. *Hint hint wink wink.* ) But he's only thirteen. I've never seen someone so young with gray hair. I find it intriguing. I know it's dumb that I find some kids hair color so interesting.
There are still 3 hours left of the flight... Three hours. Hmm... Three hours.
I took one hour to ink and color my little drawings. The next hour and a half was spent with me trying to read my book. After getting through about 350 pages, I started to doze off. I woke up to bright florescent lights and the pilot's voice over the microphone;
"Ladies and Gentlemen; we have arrived in Manchester, England. Manchester is eight hours behind Tokyo, so the time is now 7:23 am. The temperature is 12° Celsius. Enjoy your time here in Manchester, and thank you for flying with KLM. We hope to see you on the next flight."
I reluctantly opened my eyes and cracked my neck. I glanced at the three boys on my right. I shook Near awake, but the other two already woke up by themselves.
◎◎◎◎◎Time Skip◎◎◎◎◎
We walked outside to see a black limousine with a guy standing outside. I wrapped my coat around myself to protect myself from the cold Manchester winds. As we neared the car, I recognized the man in front of the car. I rushed forward, dropping my bags on the run toward him. My arms locked tight below his shoulder. He gladly returned the favor. Though due to the height difference, it was closer to my head being held to his chest. Tears already began to well in my eyes.
"Oh, Watari, it's been too long!" I let my arms drift back to my sides. After a few minutes of us catching up, retrieving my suitcases, and me crying, we were all set in the car.
The drive was about ten minutes. It was kind of an uncomfortable silence, but I was just happy to see Watari again. We pulled into the driveway only to see a familiar face standing barefoot on the porch. His black locks blew in the wind while his right hand waved hello to his visitors. I quickly pushed the car door open. After months of waiting, I finally get to see Lawliet again.