Sewers

"Our behavior is different. How often have you seen a headline like this?--TWO DIE ATTEMPTING RESCUE OF DROWNING CHILD. If a man gets lost in the mountains, hundreds will search and often two or three searchers are killed. But the next time somebody gets lost just as many volunteers turn out. Poor arithmetic, but very human. It runs through all our folklore, all human religions, all our literature--a racial conviction that when one human needs rescue, others should not count the price.
~Robert A. Heinlein

Hi! Before we start I just want you to know that there is a question in this chpater I want YOU, The reader, to answer in the comments. You'll know it when you see it.
–•–•–•–

The thunderstorm the night before made pools on the roads. It looked as if it was going to rain again. The sky was still gray, grim, and dismal as it had been the night before, but this time the sun shone through just a little and made the world a lighter shade of gray.

Gar sighed as he sped up his pace. He wanted to get out of the main part of town across the bridge to start acting suspicious. Not many people knew him over there.

He could see the bridge from where he was, but it was still a ways away.

It was oddly quiet in the city. Or maybe he didn't notice the hundreds of people walking around him in the town square as he nonchalantly passed through.

Being a cause of the latter, he wasn't thinking. He was pondering. Had they already killed her? What if he's wrong and that manhole was just installed incorrectly?

He shook away the thoughts and pressed on. But the more he pressed on, the more uneasy he felt.

"What...am I doing? I'm no hero. I can't just go and save her like some superhero in a comic book. She's the one with superpowers. Not me. What good is a hero with no powers?" He said to himself.

In no time it felt like, he got to the bridge. He stared at it for a second. He took a long sigh again.

"Dick's right. I can hardly defend myself. What am I doing trying to save someone?"

This time he was the one getting flashbacks. And especially on this specific one, he dwells on it every time. But he didn't want to this time. He shook away the memory just in time to hear a message.

Please hurry Gar.

"Who–? Raven?"

He didn't receive an answer. Once again he assumed the worst.

He made a break for it over the bridge. Nobody suspected a thing. He just looked like a kid running through the streets.

But Gar was being paranoid. Any more so and he might make people suspicuous.

He ran and ran until he spotted a large rampike. The moss that acculated over the tree had grown to be floriferous with little pink flowers over the years. But today the flowers weren't there today.

But he knew he was in the right place because last time, he saw that same, old, disgusting, rotting tree on the way in. He remembered that he thought it was gross and cool at the same time. It was one of those things that stuck with him for no apparent reason other than that he thought it was interesting. He stepped onto the road and went on his way.