Chapter 4

This chapter is edited

________________________

Waterfly's POV:

"Skystar?" Waterfly whispered to her grieving leader. "It's dawn. You must appoint a new deputy!"

Skystar grunted in reply but kept her head bowed and her tail wrapped around her paws. She must be exhausted. She hadn't gotten a wink of sleep.

Clearlight hovered behind Waterfly with Silversplash bouncing beside him. "Please Skystar. The clan is worried." Clearlight begged.

Fluffystream trotted up to them and yawned. "Is Skystar going to appoint a new deputy or are we just going to sit around like pigeons?" Waterfly noticed a hint of a growl in Fluffystream's voice.

Now other cats from the clan were appearing from their dens and hovering around Skystar. After seeing the growing crowd, the Lightclan leader rose shakily to her paws and padded slowly to the HighTree. She carefully climbed it, her paws trembling. When she got to the meeting branch, she called for the clan.

Waterfly took her place next to Nutpaw by the medicine den and watched the remaining cats emerge from their dens.

When Skystar started, her voice was surprisingly strong and confident. "I say these words before Starclan, that the spirits of our warrior ancestors may hear and approve my choice."

The clan waited patiently as Skystar swept her tired gaze over the clan. "Silversplash shall be the new deputy of Lightclan."

Silence fell over the camp as soon as those words were spoken.

____________________________

Silversplash's POV:

I'm deputy? But I just joined the clan!

But the eerie slience that fell over the clan was an obvious sign that the clan did not want Silversplash to be deputy. When she glanced at her clan mate's faces, she saw looks of dismay, annoyance, sympathy, anger and aggression.

"I... I'm sorry." Silversplash stuttered, looking at Skystar. "What?"

___________________________

Clearlight's POV:

"What do we do?" Skystar demanded, her eyes stretched wide. "No one approves of my choice of deputy!"

"I approve it." Waterfly meowed at the same time as Clearlight.

Silversplash shuffled her paws from where she sat in the corner of Skystar's den. The four cats were having an urgent meeting to discuss the deputy situation.

Clearlight shook his head. "Lightclan just need to warm up to Silversplash! Don't put another cat in her place."

Waterfly nodded in aggreement and allowed Skystar to think about what they were saying.

Finally, the leader meowed. "Silversplash shall remain deputy."

Silversplash shook her head and looked at Skystar and Clearlight, her eyes tired from saddness. "I don't want to cause any problems. I don't mind not being deputy." She looked away and Waterfly rested her tail on Silversplash's shoulder to comfort her.

Clearlight felt Skystar tense up and he let her pad to her friend's side. "You will be deputy." She meowed with new confidence.

Clearlight nodded. "Then it's settled. We will tell the clan. Then we can sort out what we're doing about my daughter's murder."

_________________________________