Chapter 8

Chapter 8:

Waterfly's P.O.V:

Nutpaw padded inside the medicine den. "Good Morning, Nutpaw." she greeted her apprentice kindly and looked up from sorting herbs to see Nutpaw sit down next to her. His brown and grey pelt was on end. "What's wrong?"

Nutpaw shook out his fur and his green eyes flitted to meet with Waterfly's lime green eyes. "I visited Blazemoon to check on her kits... And Demonkit nearly clawed my eyes out! That kit is dangerous! We must tell Skystar before he hits 6 moons."

Waterfly considered the situation and nodded. "I will visit Blazemoon now and spend some time with the kits. I will assess their behaviour and if I believe it is a problem worth adivisng Skystar then I shall voice it. Until then, don't say a word." she stood up and meowed. "Nutpaw, you can continue sorting the herbs. Make sure you check every one and throw away the old herbs. You got that?"

Nutpaw nodded obediently and set to work as Waterfly padded out of her warm herb-smelling den and into the clearing. She looked up at the sky and noticed a huge amount of grey clouds in the horizon, already blotting out the sun. She sighed and shook her head. "Leaf-fall rain rain already?" she mumbled to herself and entered the nursery where Blazemoon played a game of moss ball with her 2 kits. Demonkit, the black furred she kit, and Fallenkit, the flame coloured tom born without his hind legs. Everyone in the clan knew Fallenkit would not be able to be a warrior, ever. It was depressing for Waterfly as she gazed at the young orange tom, his bright green eyes glowing with happiness and wonder.

Fallenkit will never be able to fight for hunt for his clan. He will never feel proudness fill him as he caught his first mouse, or dug his claws into an enemy cat in the heat of battle.

Waterfly shook her blue-grey head and trotted up to Blazemoon. "Hello." she greeted kindly, forcing a small smile at her kits.

Blazemoon stood up from playing and gave a few embarrassed licks to her chest fur. "Good Morning Waterfly!"

She nodded and sat down next to the kits, her tail brushed against the 4 moon old kits. Who were play fighting now that Blazemoon had stopped playing moss ball. Demonkit was easily winning and pinned Fallenkit under his claws. "Demonkit!" her mother scolded gently as she pried Demonkit off her disabled brother.

"It's not my falt he doesn't have back legs!" Demonkit growled and pouted behind Blazemoon.

Waterfly watched closely as Blazemoon whispered carefully. "Hush hush, my wonderful kit. Be nice."

Fallenkit looked up at Waterfly and smiled. "Hi!!"

Waterfly returned the greeting with a nod of her head and she turned back to Blazemoon. "I can take your kits out to play for a short time whilst you rest, you look tired."

As if to show, Blazemoon yawned. Her ears sagged slightly and she nodded. "Ok." she curled up in her nest and said to her kits. "Be good and listen to Waterfly!" before closing her eyes and falling into a deep sleep.

Waterfly lead the kits out into the clearing, carrying Fallenkit on her back. The tom's claws pricked her skin as he held on tightly.

She set Fallenkit down and meowed. "So what would you like to do?"

Demonkit grinned. "Lets go out of camp!!" and went hurtling to the entrance. Waterfly sped after the she kit and blocked her way. "Not yet, you're not an apprentice for another 2 moons."

Waterfly carried Demonkit back, the she kit wriggled and tried to get out of her grip but Waterfly only bit harder into her scruff.

When they got back to Fallenkit, the young tom had dragged himself over to the fresh-kill pile. He was gazing intently at a plump mouse at the top of the pile. Waterfly smiled and let Demonkit go and picked the mouse up and tossed it to Fallenkit. "Here." she helped him bite into the mouse, his teeth were still small and it was hard for him to cut into the mouse but he did it eventually.

Demonkit shared the mouse with her brother while Waterfly got a vole for herself. She gulped it down hungrily since she had not eaten since the previous day when Clearlight came back from Magiclan. Apparently, 2 apprentices had been stalking him and then got into a fight with Clearlight and Bumblepaw. Whitetail had to pull them apart! Then Clearlight sent the apprentices home and returned back to Lightclan.

Clearlight should have been more careful, he was the tresspasser so he couldn't go around and pick fights with Magiclan cats.

Waterfly was so lost in thought that Demonkit had to jump onto her back and nip her ear, causing a small bead of blood to drip from her ear to onto the ground. "Demonkit!" she growled in annoyance and flicked the dark furred kit on the ground.

Demonkit got up and shook out her fur. "Weren't you listening? Skystar just called a clan meeting!!"

Waterfly stood up abruptly and looked at the HighTree to see Skystar sitting on it with an expectant look on her face. Waterfly shooed the kits back into the nursery with, unusually, no protests. Then she sat down next to Nutpaw who sat with Mousepaw and Bumblepaw.

Skystar began her announcement. "As you can see, a storm is coming. It looks very bad and I want Silversplash to order a quick patrol to go hunting and Clearlight to form a patrol of 6 cats to reinforce the dens before the storm arrives. The remaining cats will come with me and check the forest for any patrols which are still out. You will all have to work quickly and efficiently with no mistakes. Are you all clear?"

Every cat nodded and set to work. Waterfly went to Skystar with Nupaw following closely behind. "Skystar." she whispered urgently when her leader jumped down from the HighTree. "Can you use your powers to blow away the storm?"

Skystar shook her head. "I cannot control weather. Only objects from the forest."

Waterfly nodded. "I will get my herbs ready for the storm then, May Starclan light your path."

"You too." Skystar gave a small smile and turned to the cats who were already gathering behind her. She started to lead them out of camp as Waterfly ran into her den. The wind had already started to pick up speed and Waterfly could hear it whistling through the forest.

"I hope everything and everyone will be ok..." Waterfly mumbled.

Nutpaw laid his tail on Waterfly. "Starclan will protect us."

Waterfly looked at her apprentice for a long moment and finally meowed. "I hope so."

_______