Back When We Was Girls

Chapter 25

I look at Jenny with disbelief. She's lying. I know she's lying. Alicia is not for diamond. If so, how?

"Tell me how she's for her" I said.

"You don't remember my sister did you"Jenny said. She smile then nod her head. "We use to call her mother goose cause she would always take care everybody kids"

"What happen to her?" I ask.

"Drug overdose, her and her boyfriend" she frown. "Alicia was staying with them"

I look back at the time when me and Mario went to pick up Alisha and Alicia. When I ask Alisha can I tell her mom that we was leaving, she said no. But why tho? Why I don't remember jenny sister?

"You still don't remember her" jenny smile.

"Trying" I chuckle.

"Picture when we was always downstairs playing with the kids"

I though about our old apartment. Now I remember.

1998

Hi, I'm young kaila james. I'm 6 years old and very shy. I love to run, play with my friends, and hang with family.

Today everyone was outside playing. My dad and Alisha dad with their friends was listening to some old school music. My mom was listening to candy girl by new edition while holding Kailani. She's only 1 years old.

Kailee was with her friends. She's 11 years old. I wish I was her age. "Kaila, your turn" Alisha said.

"Okay" I throw the rock that land on the square. I hop to that square. It was call hopscotch I think.

"Your tu..."

"Wassup Kevin" this woman said to my dad.

"What you want? More money" my dad said.

"My daughter needs a father figure Kevin" she was starching herself.

"Well tell that nigga to come back to you when your clean" my dad said.

"Fuck that nigga" she said.

"I'm not giving you nothing"

"Aaron" she look at Alisha dad.

"Bye Felicia" he said making the dudes laugh.

"Felicia!" My mom called. She look at my mom with snot running down her nose and she looked sweaty. She look at me and jenny and smile.

"W-What" she scratch.

"Where fawn?" my mom ask.

"She with David"the lady said wiping her nose. My mom light eyes look down at her from her apartment window. She didn't say anything.

"Bring her here and I'll give you a fix"my mom said.

" O-Ok"the lady ran to her apartment. I don't know where she live.

"Why you said that?!" My dad yelled

"I need fawn with me, she's only 7 Kevin" my mom said.

"Whatever, girls go inside. It's almost getting dark"

"Where kailee?" I ask.

"Ima get her, go inside" I nod my head.

"Come on Alisha" I held my hand out. We walk inside together looking at the females with their children.

"Hi mommy" I smile at her. She smile back at me and kiss my cheek.

"You and Alisha sit down for dinner" she said. I sat down and waiting for my parents. We can't eat until dad is here.

"I'm back mom" kailee said walking in. "Hi loser"

"Fuck you" I mouth her. She gasp and pointed at me.

"Daddy, Kaila curse" she said.

"Kaila, that's not nice" he said sitting down. We ate our food momma cook.

"Mr. James, where my daddy?" Alisha ask.

"He coming back"my dad said. "We have to talk later"

"About"my mom look at my dad.

"Its important" he said.

"Okay"my mom nod her head.

"Daddy, we have a school play" kailee said.

"Cool" he said.

"You gone be there" she said.

My dad look at my mom and sigh. "Ima try and make it"

"You said that the last time dad" kailee frown.

"Ima make it okay" my dad kiss her cheek.

After dinner, me and Alisha watch some TV. My mom and dad was in their room talking.

"Kaila come here" kailee said.

I got up and walk to her. She push me to the wall to listen.

"Kevin we can't leave Harlem to some rich town, then Rodriguez there" I heard my mom say.

"I know damnit. But I can't stay here and let my kids grow up here. There's no space, smelling ass apartment. To many immigrants in this bitch"

"Kevin, I'm not leaving"

"You gone leave"

"I'm not leaving!" I jump hearing his voice.

"Fuck you, you dumbass" SMACK!

"Don't ever talk to me like that, hoe. Remember I bought you from Brooklyn. The bronx. Be thankful"we heard the door knob. I ran to the couch and sat down.

He came out the room looking at me, kailee and Alisha.  Kailani was in the room with momma.

"Be good okay" my dad walk out. He never stayed home.