Chapter 5: Bad Memories

~I was sitting in the car with my dad at a red light. He was teasing me, calling me a powder puff. It was 2 a.m. and he had to go pick me up from Emma's cause I got sick. By the time he showed up, I was feeling better but still wanted to go home. I whined at him, "Daddy! Stop it, please!" I look at him, giving him my best puppy dog face and try not to giggle. "Aww honey, you know I'm just teasing you." He pokes my side and I roll my eyes. I was sitting on the driver's side. It wouldn't be too long till I would be 16 with my driver's license; I needed all the practice I could get! Glancing out the side window, I see a sign advertising the new mall opening soon. I get this weird feeling of deja vu, but I shake it off. Emma will probably drag me there and make me try on so many stupid clothes... I should probably make up some excuse like how we don't have a ride because our mom's work all day- which she would probably rebuttal with the fact that my dad has Saturdays off. I should probably have some other excuses ready... When I realized my dad really wouldn't be able to take us and why I couldn't shake that feeling of deja vu because when that light turns red my whole life is going to change. I try to scream and hit the brakes, but nothing comes out, and all I can do is sit there and watch as the light turns green and the car starts moving forward all on its own, as the 18-wheeler runs his red light and all I can see are his headlights blinding me, coming straight at my dad's side of the car, glass shatters around us as everything goes dark.~

I sit up, screaming from my dream. Shaking and pulling my hair, I try to calm myself long enough to catch my breath. That felt so real... the intense pain I felt that night before passing out... I wanted to throw up right then and there.

I feel someone climb on the bed next to me, but I don't look up knowing it's Emma. She wraps her arms around me, pulling my hands from my hair.

"Shhh- calm down, it's okay." I start sobbing loudly, unable to control myself. My bedroom door opened with my brother and Zack coming in with pool sticks, looking ready for a fight. "What's going on?!" I just sat there shaking and crying, unable to talk.

"She had a bad dream I'm guessing. I don't know yet, she hasn't said anything." My brother sits down on the other side and makes me look at him.

"Aria calm down, tell me what the dream was about." I sobbed loudly and said with a quivering voice. "I- I- It ...wwwas- *hic* ...about...d- d- d- *hic* daddy ...a-nd ....the wreeeeccckkkk." *sob*

I couldn't control it anymore, I started crying harder. He sighed and his face softened. "It's okay, I'm here for you... Everything's going to be okay." His voice cracks a little. I shook my head.

"No! It's not- he's not here! He's gone and never coming back..." They both tightened their arms around me and just sat there; letting me cry till I had no more tears left in me. After who-knows-how-long, I was barely shaking anymore.

"I'm sorry you guys." Emma set back. "Don't worry, darling... You know I'm always here for you and so is Andrew." My brother reaches over to my nightstand and grabs a glass of water, handing it to me. I take it wondering when Zack had left to get it. I take a sip, not realizing how thirsty I really was and how sore my throat was.

"Emma is right, we are all here for you so don't worry about it." I sigh, really wanting to change the subject. I look over and see that it's 12:00 a.m. "I'm sorry for *sniffle* waking you guys up..."

"You didn't. We were just hanging out listening to music and playing pool." My brother gives a slight smile. "Yeah and I was kicking your brother's ass!" Huh, I guess that explains the pool sticks.

"Oh? You're just having some good luck. Trust me; if we go again, I will so beat you." I knew he was trying to lighten the mood, but I just didn't have the energy to force a reaction. I just wanted to let my body curl over itself and do nothing.