Chapter 8: Make-up and torture time

Ryders P.O.V Continued

As soon as I reach Derek's house, I jump off my bike and head for the door. I quickly tuck my helmet under my arm as I wait for the door to unlock... I hear giggling from the other side and my heart swells, knowing someone was excited to see me. Derek yelled on the other side of the door.

"Ohhh no you don't, Emmy!" Then the front door opens and my favorite little monster jumps out, hugging my leg while squeaking,

"Yay! Wyders here!" I laugh, picking her up and giving her a kiss on the check. After leaving my house, I needed this kind of unconditional affection. "Oh, no! It's the monster! What are you doing, silly?" She just smiles big and giggles. This morning seemed to be leagues away.

Derek walks up, shaking his head with a smile. "Well this one is SUPPOSED to be eating her lunch," He gave her a light glare. She just shrugged and hid her head in my shoulder.

"Yet she seems to think that greeting you would get her out of eating it." We step into the house and walk towards the kitchen where I set Emmy down. She took off to the kitchen table, giggling.

"She just needs her FAVORITE person telling her to eat her food." I turn to Emmy and give her a dramatic smile. "Isn't that right, Emmy?" She just looks back at me, already trying to hold a colorful eating utensil.

"Ha! As if Emmy loves anyone more than her big brother!" He shoved me slightly and faced Emmy, trying to get a better reaction out of her... She giggles and puts some chopped orange food in her mouth.

Derek leaned against the counter in the kitchen, keeping Emmy in his sight while I opened their fridge."How long do you have to babysit for?" I asked, leaning against a counter adjacent to him before opening my soda.

"Just for another 15 minutes. The party starts in like an hour so we have time to kill. Erick's gonna be there so I know we're about to see some hot chicks there." He turns his head away from Emma, usually indicating he doesn't want Emmy to hear his next words. "Some hot, easy ass tonight."

"Hey, I like me a hot piece like the rest of them, but calm the heck down! You and I both know there are more to the parties than getting into some pants." I whispered back, minding my choice of words. Derek gasped, placing his hand over his heart as if I had just told him that thongs no longer exist.

"Bro. Never say that. Did you fall off your bike or something? You catching feeling for that Alison chick?" I rolled my eyes at him. "Pff- no. Probably when I got smacked into yesterday by some girl, I started to think straight."

"Oh, do tell? Who was this girl that dared smack into you? The poster-boy of teenage aggression." He gave a half-smile, casually referencing to my K.O. fights I've had in the past.

"I'm not really sure what her name is, but she hangs out with that chick with the blonde hair... Um, Emma? We're all in the same grade, I know that much." I think her name starts with an 'A'. Not sure. But Derek should since he knows everyone.

"Oh yeah. Aria Nova; she was in my history class. Dude, that girl never says anything. Where did you run into her?"

"Yesterday, when I was at that pet shop picking Erick's special snake food... She was sitting in the puppy pin while this employee flirted with her. Painfully hard... She looked so uncomfortable and her friend Emma was not helping her. I called the guy out for wasting my time. Man, she took off when she saw her chance and ran into me." I couldn't help but chuckle about that. He looked thoughtful for a minute and I wondered why because he never does.