Chapter 22: It seems my luck has run out

Aria's P.O.V

        When I got out of my brother's car earlier this morning. I was ready for another day in hell. The weekend was fun. I really enjoyed paintball with them. Despite Emzilla. It felt freeing to let go for a second and it helped occupy my mind. It also helped the pressure in my chest. Small as it was it still felt good even if it was only for a second.

        Plus, talking to him felt great. He was easy to talk to and I wouldn't mind doing it again. It's better this way. Rather than dredging up these painful memories for my family.

        I caught myself looking for him every time; I walked to my locker. It wasn't like that, I just wanted to see how he was doing. He sent me a weird text later that night saying. 'I have some things to take care of so I won't be around for a bit. Kind of pissed off Derek.'

       I wonder what happened between them. "Hey, locker buddy." I went stiff.

       It had been weeks since we had talked. I looked around for his succubus. Nowhere in sight, that's a complete surprise. I looked back at my locker, pretending that I had better things to do. I feel like avoiding him was the best move. I had managed to avoid him this morning. I guess my luck ran out.

       "Aria, are you going to talk to me?" He isn't going to let me be, is he? Why does he want to talk to me now? Why is my heart beating fast?

       "Hi, Zack." I hope that satisfied him because I wanted to be anywhere but here. "Is that all I get? Just a simple hi?" He sounded a little irritated.

       "How are you on this fine evening, Zack?" I hope he heard the sarcasm in my voice. I hope he took the hint.

       "Are you okay?" He ignores my existence this whole time and now wants to know if I was okay?

       "I am completely and utterly fine. Don't worry about me." I knew I was about to piss him off.

       "Where is your guard dog this evening? Might want to be careful she might get mad that you are talking to me." I fully turned and looked him in the eye.

       "She's not my guard dog, and she doesn't have a problem with us talking. She's more mature than that." The way he said it sounded like he was trying to say I wasn't.

       "As for where she is. She's with Alison, actually." He looked down for a second. "They were uh talking about her amazing weekend with Ryder." With Alison this weekend? What is his motive here? I snorted, "What?" He was waiting for my response.

       "I don't see how he was with her this weekend when he was with me." His head shot up and I could see the fire behind his eyes.

       "What the hell do you mean, you were with him this weekend? I thought I told you not to make a habit out of hanging out with him and now you're what?" He was getting angrier by the second.

       "Sleeping with him. You what? Just gave it up to him like that? You barely know him." He spat out the last word at me. My eyes went wide. I was hurt.

       "What the hell are you talking about? I am not sleeping with him." I whispered/yelled the last part standing closer to him.

       "I said I spent the weekend with him. Contrary to belief, that doesn't mean you are sleeping with the person." Now I was the one getting angrier by the second. How could he just say that to me? Does he not know me?