Chapter 21: I didn't know she was THAT scary

Aria's P.O.V

      "Do you see her?" I could feel my chest heaving up and down. I looked over at Ryder who was sweating heavily. I shook my head at him, I didn't see her anywhere but I was also a little too scared to peek out from behind the wall we were hiding at.

      "Well, go out there and look. Don't be a chickenshit." I'm a chickenshit? The way he was hugging the wall told me I wasn't the only one. "Are you seriously afraid of a girl? The all-mighty Ryder?" Is he really afraid of her? I'm not saying I blame him.

      "I am not afraid of a girl but that thing out there! I don't know what that is? Why didn't you tell me she was this scary? She's like the Rambo of paintball. Did you see the way she tied that whatever you girls call it around her forehead?" I couldn't help but let out a nervous chuckle.

      "Listen, I didn't even know, I mean she sweats walking to her locker because it's too much effort." As soon as Emma got her hand on the paintball gun, she changed.

      I knew we had pissed off many people here. Emma was taking out people left and right. She had moves I didn't even know existed and the way she was jumping over things, dodging and rolling around on the ground threw me for a loop. Ryder and I had formed an alliance to take her out. Yet everything we tried was futile. She either dodged or was 10 steps ahead of us.

      "I don't know what we can-" We heard a twig snap and Ryder put his hand over my mouth. "Guys come out, come out wherever you are." Oh shit, she was close... Ryder was waving his hands at me and when I looked over he started doing all these weird hand signals. I tried my best to understand, but it was a failed attempt on my part so he started mouthing the words. "You go left and I will go right." If he thinks I am chancing it he is out of his mind. "No, not an option." He ignored everything I said and started slowly creeping around towards the right side.

      I guess I had no choice but to do what he says because he isn't giving me one. Taking deep breaths, I take a quick peek but I don't see Emma anywhere. Apparently, she saw us though because a paintball pellet went flying past my head. "Oh shit, run Ryder!"

      I almost tripped trying to take off, but I managed to balance myself before I hit the ground. Ryder took off in the opposite direction and I got scared because we were splitting up but I guess that meant she had to choose who to go after. Maybe that was his plan all along, but I can't believe he just ditched me like that! I was scared to look back, so I dove behind a log, hoping she wasn't after me.

      "What the hell?" That didn't sound like Ryder. I conquered my fear and looked over the edge of the log. Some poor guy was lying on the ground with blue splattered on his shirt.

      She was standing over this poor guy smirking at him like he was a target she was hired to take down. Pure evil was glowing in her eyes, and I would do anything to get away from her. Someone plopped down next to me. A scream almost escaped my lips. A hand was placed over my mouth again. "It's just me, don't scream."

      "Can you stop putting your dirty hand over my mouth, please?" The taste of dirt was on my lips, and I wanted to gag. "Hey, my hands aren't dirty but never mind that I think I have a plan that might work." Oh, now, this I have to hear.

      "Wait, I didn't know you were capable of coming up with anything. Does your brain hurt?" He narrowed his eyes at me and I guess decided to ignore my comment. "Listen, when she took that guy down just now she focused all of her attention on him, unlike all the other times. She must be getting impatient."