Chapter 7: Is there something wrong?

For the first time in forever, I woke up feeling refreshed. I quietly sat up in my bed, checking if I was the first awake. Emma was still sound asleep... My bladder quickly let me know it was time to go. The last thing I wanted was to wake Emma; if she is ever woken up by anyone other than herself, she is VERY cranky.

Careful to not disturb the beast, I maneuver carefully out of my room. While I shuffled down the hall, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I remember yesterday. Suddenly, I smacked into someone who was quick to steady me.

"T-thanks!" I looked up, and my heart skipped. Zack was in his sweatpants, rocking the bed-head look. He gives a slight smile, but his eyes seemed to be looking through me, rather than at me. He just walks past me without saying a word.

Did I do something wrong? Am I the only one that felt something during that kiss? Am I not good enough for him? I try to shove all the thoughts away and keep walking down the hall to the bathroom.

As soon as I get in there, I grab a towel and turn on the water activating the showerhead. I move away, letting it warm up. I look into the mirror and grimace at the sight of me; if only I were prettier. My eyes have dark circles around them, my posture was lazy, and I always seem to look gloomy.

I sigh, turning around and pull back the curtain. I feel the hot water hitting the muscles in my shoulder and washing over my scars. Why did Zack just ignore me like that? I mean, I don't think we are a couple or anything, but... his look gave me a weird feeling just now.

I sighed, leaning over to grab my shampoo bottle. Just as I close my eyes to rub the soap through my hair, a set of bright lights blind me. A horn just starts to go off before I shoot my eyes back open. I look around, telling myself over and over again that I am fine. I am safe in my bathroom.

My hands shook as I placed them against the wall, sliding down into a fetal position. My eyes burned from the soap running over my face, but I quietly sobbed for a different reason. No matter how many times I relive that moment, I will never forget those last few, miserable seconds with my dad. My scars seemed to throb as I buried my head in my hands. My fingers dug into my skin, making sure no part of my ugly cry saw the light.

Ryder's P.O.V

I open my eyes slowly, squinting at the light shining through. I reach over and move Alison's arm from around me, being careful not to wake her from her slumber. I set up slowly, reaching over and grabbing my pants and shirt off the floor, slipping them on and reaching for my shoes. I barely got the second one on as a pair of arms slip around my waist.

I hear Alison's nasally voice, "Mmmmm~ baby, where do you think you're going?"

I guess my attempts not to wake her were futile. I reach over and remove her hands from me once again, pulling on my last shoe. I stand up quickly before she can wrap her arms back around me.

"Your parents are going to be home soon so I think it's time for me to leave." My eyes look heavily at her window, my escape. She lets out a wine that she thinks is cute but it just annoys the hell out of me. Don't get me wrong; she's hot as hell but her personality just ruins that sometimes.

Maybe I just keep her around for the company or the fact that I feel bad for her, I'm not sure. Maybe it's both. I crawl out of her window and run across the street, hopping on the only thing that I truly love. My Harley-Davidson.

The morning dew running off its beautifully glossy, cherry-red paint. It's the only thing in my life that I can truly call my own. I've been working since I was 12 years old and saved every penny I got. I turn it on and just listen to its engine purr, feeling my bike vibrating under me. I get that same adrenaline rush right before I take-off.