Yellow Tape and Tears

Jughead POV - By sunrise, the Cooper's front garden was a full-blown crime scene. At least six police cars crowded the busy road, a sea of reporters craning their necks for a view of the bloodied gate, now surrounded by yellow tape. My phone vibrated with a call from Betty's mom, who had given me a spare phone. She was hiding inside the house talking to police officers. "Jughead." I could tell she was still crying. "The forensics have confirmed - it's Betty's blood." I stifled a sob in my sleeve, despite the fact I had known it was Betty's from the moment I saw it. From the corner of the street where I stood, trying desperately to blend in, I saw an officer emerge from the front door, and a hustle of cameras rushing towards him, waiting for a statement. "As you know, Betty Cooper went missing last night. The blood found on the gate has been tested by our forensics and we can now confirm that it is in fact Miss Cooper's." Several gasps scattered round this crowd. "The blood found was not enough to confirm Betty's death, so we are treating this as an abduction. Her family is requesting their privacy at this time. That is all." He quickly marched back into the house, avoiding the group of microphones shoved in his face, and the shout of questions.

As I turned to leave, a hand grabbed my shoulder. It was a young woman, probably 25 or so, surrounded by at least 5 cameramen. "Aren't you Jughead Jones? Betty Cooper's boyfriend? Mind if I ask you a few questions?" Before I had time to open my mouth to refuse, a large figure stepped in front of me. It was Archie. "Stay the hell away from him!" The red head pushed the woman back. Veronica hurried up to us, red faced, obviously from crying. "Oh god Jughead, we came as soon as we heard! Do you think Jason's killer got her?" Ronnie cried, turning around to see the blood-stained fence. She immediately sunk to the floor in a fit of tears, covering her mouth. Archie quickly squatted down next to her, wrapping his arms around her shoulders, holding back tears of his own. "I'm so sorry guys, I should have protected her." I whispered hoarsely, not daring to look either of them in my eyes. I felt too guilty. "Jug, don't blame yourself. Whoever did this is a psycho, they killed Jason. You couldn't have stopped them even if you tried." Archie tried to assure me, but to no avail. I should have been with her, make sure she was safe until the killer was locked away. And now Betty could be dead, and it's all my fault.

A.N - It's a little short, sorry :) Hope you enjoyed though!