Square One

Jughead POV - "Woah Veronica, slow down." I placed my head in my hands, trying to process what she was saying. "I can't slow down! I thought we had a lead and now we have NOTHING!" She retorted, slamming her hands into the table, and eating a French fry.  Then she grabbed 3 more and hastily ate them. Archie gave her a look before closing his eyes again and rubbing his temples. "What? This is called stress eating! Chuck knew nothing about who he was working for, so we're back to square one." Veronica yelled, causing the whole diner to turn and look at her. "It's rude to stare." She snapped, folding her arms. Archie seemed lost in thought, and hadn't said a word in the past 5 minutes. I felt bad. No, bad was one hell of an understatement. Veronica was right, we were so close to a breakthrough, and now we've just been cut off. Betty could be anywhere in the world by now. Or worse. "Look, we must have got something out of this." Archie finally spoke, sitting up.
"What? What could we possibly got out of this failure?"
"This person murdered Jason. It's clear they didn't want us finding out it was them, so this was a diversion. Stop us from looking, right? But why Betty? Why not you Jug, or hell even me or you Ronnie? Either way it would have caused the same problems for us. So, there must be a reason they chose Betty. Maybe they just picked one of us, or maybe they have something against her, or the Cooper family." He questioned, making a pretty valid point.
"Well if they were going to take someone, it would have been Betty or Jughead, so what if they were in Jughead's favour?" Ronnie suggested.
"That's actually really smart..." I mumbled, adjusting my beanie, and taking a sip from my strawberry milkshake. "And why does that surprise you Donnie Darko?" Veronica  glared. I held my hands up in surrender, causing Archie to stifle a weak laugh in his hands.

"What about the Blossoms?" Archie suggested.
"You think the Blossoms killed their own kid?" Ronnie frowned, but still scribbled it down onto the napkin that we were using to take down names. "We already knew that Penelope and Clifford were evil and twisted, I wouldn't be surprised if murder was on their résumé." I replied dryly. For a few moments, we sat in unbearable silence. That's what I hated most about this. Those moments of no noise, no distractions, just you and your thoughts. And my thoughts weren't something I liked to dwell on. "Ok so the Blossoms are on the list, who else..."
"Omg what if Betty was pregnant and her dad got her taken away again!" Veronica exclaimed, then raised her eyebrows at me. I gave her a deathstare, but after a few moments we all burst out laughing. It was rather strange, and I honestly couldn't remember the last time I had laughed.  Suddenly, there was a large commotion at the door of Pop's, and several officers including Sheriff Keller marched in. When they spotted us, they hurried over. "Sheriff Keller? Have you found something?" Veronica asked intently, but he shook his head, as the other officers came up to our booth.

"Archie Andrews, Jughead Jones, we're going to have to ask you to come with us."

A.N - Sorry for the delay, but timing isn't really my thing 😂😂