I Love Her, I Love Her Not

Archie POV - I stared out of my window at Betty's house. Her room was in complete darkness, the curtains wide open, just so... empty. I remember our conversations from our windows, I remember the day I found out how she felt about me, and that I broke her heart. It wasn't the first time since Betty went missing that I had thought about that day, and what would have happened if I hadn't kissed Ronnie, or hell, if I had told Betty that I loved her back. Perhaps she would be home, safe. I might have been able to protect her. No, if Jughead couldn't, why could I have been able to? What was I thinking, I didn't love Betty, not like that... right? 

After around an hour of just sitting, my phone rang, and Ronnie's picture appeared on my screen.

A: Ronnie?

V: Arch, you need to come to Pop's, now.

A: Right now? It's 11:30 at night?

V: Yes now! We're meeting Chuck.

A: We are?

V: Can you stop that?!

A: Sorry. Why are we meeting Betty's kidnapper?

V: Because, you doofus, we need answers! He told me he would tell us everything when I confronted him at school today.

A: You went to school?

V: Oh my god Archie, stop with the questions. Go to Pop's. Bye.

(Veronica hangs up)

A: Bye?

Sighing, I headed out of the house, starting the short walk to the diner. Surely this wasn't a good idea. Yes, we needed answers, but I wasn't sure confronting the guy was the best way to do it. Like Veronica was going to give me a choice. As I opened the door, the familiar bell chimed, and there sat Veronica, staring blank faced at Chuck, who looked slightly uncomfortable. I felt a pang of anger in my chest, and strolled over to them, sliding into the seat next to Veronica, who didn't break her stare. "Can we just get this over with?" He muttered, causing Ronnie to let out a small chuckle. "Oh sure, let's just have a quick chat about how you kidnapped Betty Cooper and then we can all go home and drink hot chocolate." She rolled her eyes. 

"Look, I wanted revenge for you kicking me off the team and for Jughead throwing a punch at me. Someone must have had the same idea, because I got a text asking for my help in taking you down. Anonymous of course. All they told me was to hire a serpent to take care of a few things, get you to stop looking into Jason's murder, and leave the rest to them. Trust me, I had no idea what they would do to Betty."

"So you have no idea who you're working for?"  I questioned, my fists tightening into balls. I wanted to stand up, yell, punch him in the jaw. "No. But whoever it is, they killed Jason Blossom." Chuck answered, trying to stand up and leave, but Veronica quickly stopped him. Hearing the door open, I turned my head to see Betty at the doorway. My heart started beating quicker and quicker, and I felt the urge to run up to her and engulf her in my arms. "Archie? Archie?" Ronnie's voice snapped me back to reality. The woman at the door had blonde hair like Betty's, but she wasn't her at all. Muttering something about going to the restroom, I stood up hazily and stumbled away. When I reached the sink, I wiped cold water over my face, where hot tears were beginning to form. What was wrong with me?