Chapter 19

"So I found this wrapped on the doorknob of the lecture room, today," I say raising the purple scarf so that everyone can see.

"Ooooooohhhh" my older students shout and clap their hands recognizing its significance leaving the newer ones frowning in ignorance and curiosity.

"We've been challenged!"I reveal taking them out of their misery "And I have yet to open the envelope that's attached to it. I was waiting for you so that we can open it together," I tell them and gesture for them to take their seats and be quiet so that we can see what the challenge is.

"What does this mean Mrs. Cameron?" I hear Rebecca's voice from the back and I lift my eyes I see her sitting next to Harry who looks completely unaffected to be in my class. I try to be the same, keyword here being "try". Rebecca is effortlessly beautiful, make-up free dressed in denim and a cute woolen hat. It shouldn't bother me that she is so gorgeous, close to a man I know, well knew, so intimately but it does. I have no right to an opinion and as a professional but also as a woman with some sense I decide to give this girl a chance. After all, she is an excellent student and I'll be damned before I become that person.

 After all, she is an excellent student and I'll be damned before I become that person

"Oh, this is a challenge from the Sociology majors. Every year they challenge us or we challenge them to a debate," I begin to explain. "Whoever gets to challenge the other has the opportunity to choose the topic of discussion and that is exactly what's in this envelope," I smile. "They beat us to it, by wrapping this purple scarf on our doorknob," I say and move to open the envelope. I have always loved this little game we play with Peters's students because both teams become so passionate and involved and I simply love them when they are so determined. It's every teacher's dream.

"There is a committee of independent teachers of the Humanities who decide who has won the debate," I explain. " The debate takes place in the main hall on a date set by the dean who attends but does not vote," I tear the envelope and look at the printed words before I put the piece of paper up for everyone to see.

EUTHANASIA

"Damn it that is difficult," I hear someone say.

"It depends on which side you're supporting," another steps in and I let them go on. I want them to put their views out in the open, express themselves.

"It's because of that film, Me before You. That's why they chose that," a third one comments.

"There is no doubt that this will be a heated debate. It is after all a very controversial issue," I tell them just before I sit on my desk instead of behind it. I want to get the vibe, understand their energy.

"What are we supposed to support?" Emma asks. "Are we in favour or are we against it?" she adds.

"Well, that's the beauty of it I suppose. We will find out on the day of the debate," I chuckle when I see their faces, their eyes widening.