Chapter 29

Hugo silently opens the door of the room before shutting it as not to disturb Katie who was fast asleep in his arms. Making his way towards their room, he slowly puts her down on the bed before starting to pull her shoes off.

Covering her with the blanket, he takes a deep breath, as she did not wake up at all. Pulling of his own coat away from his body, he takes a seat at his side of the bed and stares at his wife's face, one that looked so peaceful and he hopes that this peace, he can maintain for her all through their life.

Hugo does not know how long he was staring at her face but when she stirs in her sleep and slowly opens her eyes, he shifts a bit on the bed.

"Hey" Katie croaks as she gets up from her sleeping position.

"Hungry?" he asks as he rubs her cheek with the back of his hand.

"No but you must be"

"I am all good" he smiles as he moves a bit so Katie can get inside of his arms.

"Are you okay?" he asks next kissing on the top of her head.

"Yeah, just a bit shaken up but I am all good. Thank you"

"Why?"

"For being with me, letting me handle it my way"

"Then I should be thanking you for handling the situation as no matter what I still am against raising my hands on a woman"

"Are you sure it was your mother's teaching or the idea of letting my hand go stopped you?" she teases staring at him face.

"Both" he sighs as he caresses her face.

Moving his face closer to her, he joins their foreheads together and stares at her eyes.

"Are we okay?" he asks still staring in her eyes.

"Perfect will be the right word"

"Hmm" he hums as he kisses the tip of her nose lightly and sighing.

*******

Hugo swats the hands that were running around his face, he grumbles when he hears a feminine giggle close to his ear before someone blows air in his ear.

"What..." he groans opening his eyes slowly only take a quick breath as Katie kisses him on his lips taking him by surprise.

"Good morning" Katie greets him with a playful smile on her lips as she moves away from his lips.

"Uh yeah" Hugo clears his throat as he stares at her in confusion trying to think what brought the change in her.

"Are you not going to be late for your work?" she asks as she pushes his hair away from his forehead and gently kisses on it.

"I am taking the day off" he frowns as he shifts a bit on the bed.

"What has gotten into you?" he cannot help but ask her the question.

"What?"

"You are playful today and in a very jolly mood"

"Is that so? But I am always in a good mood"

"Okay" he sighs as he turns around on the bed and pulls her closer to him.

*******

"Is this why you took the day off?" Katie asks as she watches Hugo turn his head over to stare at her from the couch he was lying on.

"Huh?"

"You have been a couch potato all day long"

"But you love this couch potato" he grins making her sigh.