Eight

The two sat quietly as the winds had started to play, horns and strings slowly joining in to set the scene. A harp adds a touch of that fairy tail feel to the piece, and loud horns with tremelo and a tympany rumble the room, introducing a fast-paced, adventurous theme. Strings hectically play runs of scales as horns blare in call and response.

It sounded familiar to Amelia, but she didn't know where she'd heard the piece before. She listened intently the whole time, until the first love theme started to play about seven minutes in. She rolled her eyes, now knowing why the piece had been so recognizable. She hoped Roderich wouldn't pull any shit with her, so she scooted away from him.

Roderich noticed this, trying to hold in his laughter. She didn't understand yet, but after the piece is over then she'll see why she was dragged here.

The finale was grand, lasting for about a third of the piece. Horns blared and church bells sang, the members of the orchestra not losing any energy by the end of the piece.

The performers stood, the concertmaster shook the hand of the conductor, and the conductor sat the orchestra down. He approached a mic, clearing his throat.

"Tonight, we're honored to have a guest who spent five years at school in his native country of Russia..."

Amelia thought, confused about who they were talking about. She was starting to become suspicious of Roderich..

"He went to our very own Weston Highschool, and has come back and is playing with us tonight. Please give a warm welcome to..."

'Here it is...' She thought, the anticipation killing her.

"... Ivan Braginsky."

She covered her mouth as she gasped, Roderich holding in his excitement.

Roderich had to have set this whole scene up! But she kind of... Wasn't mad...

He stood up from the middle of the violins, acknowledging the applause. He looked sharp in a suit and bowtie, his hair slightly golden in the lighting and his rounder face adorned with a childlike, toothy smile.

Amelia couldn't believe her eyes and ears as he walked out from his chair in the midst of the orchestra. She wouldn't admit it to herself, but she felt like she was falling in love with him all over again, seeing him on stage like when they were in highschool. Except now he was even taller, more broad-shouldered, and handsome.

He shook the hand of the conductor, and he stood tall as the orchestra started to play something Amelia had heard before.

"Is this... Are you pulling a prank on me, Roderich?" She whispered, laughing confusedly.

He shrugged, "Erm, yes and no..." Roderich smiled like he had his hands tied and didn't know what to do, but he was also kind of smug about the whole ordeal.

Ivan lifted his instrument, inhaled sharply, and started the same piece that she heard him play five years ago or so. Amelia actually being here, seeing him play this very piece on a real stage with a real orchestra felt like a dream.

The piece sounded like it was telling a love story. He rips heart-wrenching chords that ring throughout the echoey room, and plays many virtuosic runs and passages until he reaches a few common themes, and then it ends with an over-the-top finale that sounds vaguely like a fiddle tune, and ends with frantic chords that cause rosin to fly off the bow. The piece ends on that final 'A' that he holds for just the perfect amount of time, and Ivan lifts his bow off the string slightly.

His hair was in his face, and he was pallid with sweat on his brow. He gave a shaky bow, trying to hold his straight posture as he shook the conductors hand once more. They exchanged words briefly, and then Ivan shook the hand of the concert master and left the stage uneasily.

Not many noticed it, but the people sitting in the front and on stage did. Amelia wondered if it was his heart problem, but tried dismissing it since she didn't want the thought of him in her mind.

There was still a thunderous applause even after he had already left the stage. He really knows how to entertain...

"...Where to next?" Amelia asked as people started to file out of their rows.

"We're going to eat, but first we have to pick someone up." He smirked.