Twenty-Four

Ivan drove up into his old neighborhood as it started to terrentially downpour, parking in front of the small yellow house and shamefully knocked on the door to greet Natalia.

"Iv, what are you doing here? You're soaked!" She pulled him inside, running to the laundry room and back to hand him a towel.

He sighed, taking it gratefully and drying his hair and shoulders. "I need to stay here a few nights..." He said despondently.

"You look so sad, please tell me everything!" She said with great worry, hugging him tightly despite him being damp. He hugged her back, giving her a couple pats on the back.

"I'll tell you after I talk to mama, you'll be the first to know." He said quietly, slipping off his shoes and letting go of Natalia before walking to the back-half of the tiny house and knocking on his mother's bedroom door.

"Who's here Natalia?" She asked, assuming her daughter came to tell her of the knocking at the door.

Ivan answered, "It's me, Mama."

Anya stood up from her bed and opened the door, smiling at her only son and embracing him in a hug, showering kisses on him to the best of her ability, seeing as her son was almost two heads taller than her.

"I'm sorry for not visiting you sooner, I've been stressed."

His mother nodded understandingly. "I know, it's okay. I just wish you could be here all the time!" She pinched his cheek, Ivan smiling meloncholicly at her affections.

"Well, I guess you'll be happy to know that I need to stay here with you and Otetz." Ivan said , looking away from his mother.

She was slightly concerned, but told him, "Of course, please stay as long as you need..." She held his face in one hand, not asking him why, because she could sense that he was not in a state that would allow him to easily explain his predicament.

She let him go and see Natalia, who was sitting in the livingroom looking extremely concern. She beckoned him to sit with her and they were side-by-side for a brief moment before Natalia spoke.

"If it has to do with Yan, I'll hunt her down and do something that might possibly be illegal."

Ivan waved his arms low in a desperate manner, exclaiming, "No, please don't do anything or say anything! I just don't want anyone feelings to get hurt more that they already have!"

Natalia huffed, crossing her arms. "So then what is it that she did?"

"She cheated on me with her coworker..."

There was an uncomfortable silence, the air thick enough to cut with a steak knife.

"...Don't turn me in if she's found dead."

"Can't make any promises..." Ivan laughed quietly, the mood changing to become less heavy.

Natalia gave her brother a hug, who returned it gratefully to her. They stayed there for a few more moments while Ivan tried to look for words to express his thanks to her and his mother. When he couldn't find any, he simply hummed, earning a "you're welcome" from his little sister.

"I'm glad you're staying here for a bit with us, I missed you so much..." She said, letting go of him and setting her folded hands in her lap and looking down at them.

"I missed you too, you and Mama and Katya and Otetz..." He trailed off, his mom walking in the room and sitting right between them in the sofa.

"I missed you too Iv!" She exclaimed, wrapping her arms around her two children. Looking at the three of them together, anyone could see the uncanny resemblance between them. All three were platinum blondes, with dark blue eyes that looked purple and pale complexions.

They laughed heartily, and spent the rest of the evening exchanging pleasantries and offering good company. The atmosphere was warm and inviting and calm, and the house seemed more worn in now that Ivan was back from his Homeland. Although Russia had a special place in his heart, this house was truly home.