Twenty-Seven

For about three days, Amelia was exchanging texts with Ivan. She was surprised, since was so soon after he had left Yan. But when she came home on Tuesday from the school, she was surprised to hear shuffling from the apartment right to the left of hers and Gilbert's. She guessed that it was because someone had finally moved in, but she wondered because she hadn't seen anyone bringing their stuff in over the past couple days. She didn't want to bother her new neighbor while they were unpacking, but she went ahead and knocked to introduce herself out of sheer curiosity.

She about had a heart attack when she saw who opened the door.

"Hahahahaha! I did not expect to see you open the door, of all people! How are you?" She clapped a hand to her face bashfully, laughing a loud, nervous laugh. Ivan stood in the doorway, pushing a box by his foot to the side harshly and fidgeting with his hands behind his back. He acheingly rubbed his left wrist, and then his right palm.

"Yeah, I wanted to get out of my parent's house asap... I completely forgot you lived here!" He fibbed, his nervous mannerisms hiding it. He was glad she didn't hear him trip on the way to the door and forcfully bang his wrist and giving his palms rug burn catching his fall, after he was startled by her knocking. He was discomposed by his lack of grace, feeling like he wanted to hide his face in shame.

"That's so funny, I'm actually the apartment to the right. Well, I have to set my stuff down inside, but if you want I'd love to help you bring your things in!" She offered.

Ivan closed the door behind him ungainly. "I would appreciate that so much, thanks." He smiled gratefully, leading her downstairs to his car.

"So I heard you're playing with Roderich and a couple concerto competition winners from last year at our winter concert." Amelia said when they reached the parking lot, grabbing boxes from the back seat.

He nodded as they walked back up. "Yeah, I usually rehearse after school with them on Wednesdays. Those kids are really talented!"

"I know, I see so many of those kids like you that are super talented and smart! It makes me feel like I've wasted my time going to school to teach rather than having a 'smart job', but then I can remind myself that I have the privilege of teaching our future! I've come to appreciate high schoolers a lot more after teaching them and getting to know them."

"That is wonderful to hear." Ivan could feel his cheeks glow, thinking of how sweet she was. Fortunately, he was walking in front of her, so she couldn't see how his face and ears had gone red.

The were in front of the apartment again. He opened the door, and let her in so she could set the box down where he wanted it.

"That can go here with this box." He told her, pointing at the box by the door. He let her set it down while he walked into the galley kitchen and set the box down clumsily on the counter.

Amelia laughed, "Oh my gosh, you look like a giant in that tiny little kitchen."

"I feel like a giant." He laughed along with her, her joking nature infectious. He sauntered out of the kitchen, earning giggles from the blonde.

She shook her head, "You are such a goof... Come on, let's get the rest of the 'em. Do you need any help unpacking stuff in the boxes?"

"Yes, but you do not have to-"

Amelia stopped him, saying, "Oh, please! It's no big deal, we're neighbors now."

Ivan sighed, laughing quietly to himself while they walked back to the car again. She was a piece of work, but she was just as nice and caring as she was before. Her positive, outgoing nature always did so much to him. It sometimes drained him, and other times, like now, it fueled him (just depending what mood he was in). He found that she became less annoying after getting to know her, and then it was easier to feed off of her energy.