Twenty-One

By the time Gilbert had walked down the street and opened the door of his car, he was answering the phone to Roderich, who had many questions.

"So what did you see? Were you able to get into the party? Was Yan with that guy Kiku?"

Gilbert sighed, "Take a chill pill, dude! I'll tell you all the details if you stop asking so many questions, alright?" Gilbert rolled his eyes at the Austrian.

"I saw Yan with the guy who I can confirm is Kiku. I got in with the band and was able to hear them talk about Ivan, and she's going to dump him. She's at his house right now." Gilbert sighed.

Roderich shook his head, "Wow," he gasped, "She's actually cheating on him... I'm kind of surprised he was right." He all of a sudden felt guilty for snooping, however he knew Gilbert was going to have to break the news, because he was the one who saw and heard everything.

"What will we do then?" Gilbert asked, concerned about getting Amelia into the picture.

Roderich thought for a few seconds, massaging his temple. "Uh, I guess you should tell him yourself..."

"Why me?!" He exclaimed over the speaker of the phone, the person in the car next to him staring at him with a concerned expression as they sat at a red light.

The Austrian tried to reason with him, "Look, if me or Amelia or anyone else tell him, he'll know something's up. Or he'll be upset that no one told him first. It would be better if he heard it from you," he cleared his throat for a brief moment, "because you were there and you saw it."

Gilbert sighed in understandment. "Okay, fine... I guess you're right." He felt slightly defeated, but he unfortunately agreed with Roderich.

"Anyways, now that we know we've got something to get them away from each other, has Amelia updated you on the song?" He asked.

"Oh, uh, she kind of gave up on writing a song so she found a song that might resonate with him." Gilbert answered.

Roderich hummed, "Hm, kind of soon to give up. I understand though, she has little musical experience in the first place. What song?"

"Some Beatles song, I don't remember the name. I don't listen to a lot of English Rock." Gilbert shrugged, parking in front of the apartment complex. "Listen, I just got home so I'll tell Amelia what I saw, and you tell me where Ivan is tomorrow so I can 'run into' him and break the news. See ya Roddy."

"Bye, don't call me that."

Gilbert laughed as the was hung up on, reaching the door to the flat and letting himself in. He walked in, hanging his jacket up to his left and walking a few steps into the open kitchen to get himself a drink. He saw Amelia emerge from the door of their room near the compact sofa in the livingroom.

"Hey Gil." She smiled at him, sitting at their two-person table where she left her papers that were almost completely graded.

He sat down across from her. "Hello Frau. How was your day?"

She laughed, "It was very good, actually. A kid brought donuts in for no reason other than that there was a test! And I got a lot of work done. And how about yours, see anything 'suspicious'?" She picked up the papers, straightening them out.

"Well," he began, "I actually did see something, something ~scandalous~! Apparently, Yan is cheating on Ivan, and it's with the coworker Kiku. And they were totally having sex afterwards! I didn't see it, but I saw them making out which probably turned into sex."

Amelia gasped incredulously, "Are you serious?! Someone has to tell Ivan! How long has she been cheating?"

"From the sounds of it, months. Probably after he came back from Europe."

Amelia shook her head, "Oh, that poor guy. I can't believe that she would do something like that to a guy like Ivan... Like what I did! I don't know how that feels, but it must suck if it's not the first time you've been cheated on..." She could feel a feeling of deep regret down at the bottom of her stomach, like an anchor with a weight of a million tons.

Gilbert saw the remorse in her expression, reassuring her that she was not at fault this time. "We're going to right this, don't worry about it."

"We?"

"Yes, we," he laughed a nervous, short titter, "I saw her with Kiku, I have to tell him. It's the only way for this plan to be executed as smoothly as possible. Trust me, I don't want to, but if anyone else mentions it to him, he'll be suspicious."

Amelia agreed. They decided not to dwell much on the subjects since she felt uncomfortable talking about it, knowing she had done the same thing once as well with Gilbert, who would be the one to tell Ivan. This would be an issue, however it was not something she wanted to say out loud, as it would interfere with Gilbert's part of the plan. Instead she suggested he get ready for bed.

She was only the slightest bit tired, but she forced her myself to sleep despite these thoughts. She did not sleep soundly, but it was enough to get her by for school the next day.

When she woke up next morning, she looked at Gilbert and remembered what he had to do and hoped he'd be careful about how he'd tell Ivan.

"Please don't let him get upset at anyone, especially you..." She whispered, then got ready and left for the school.