Twenty-Eight

Ivan sighed when he got back to his apartment. He felt extremely warm, putting his hands on his cheeks to feel how they were flushed with blood and warmth. He'd never felt that giddy before, at least not since the first time he fell in love. He flopped down on the couch that had already been in the space, too distracted to try to sleep but too tired to unpack.

He seemed to quickly find a way to distract him from his busy mind. After a few moments of laying there, thinking, he heard the sound of a guitar coming from the next space, to his right. He listened intently, and for a while he stayed exactly how he was, still and focused on the guitar coming from Amelia and Gilbert's apartment. He was curious, so he texted Amelia to figure out where it was coming from. He didn't think Gilbert was home yet, so he inferred that it was Amelia who was playing.

"Hey, I didn't know you played guitar." He sent to her.

He heard the playing stop and received a text back.

She replied, "I do. If you want I'll break it out for you next Friday 😋"

Unable to help himself from laughing at what she sent, he responded with a "sure" and decided he should go to sleep. He closed his eyes, trying to get as comfortable as he could on the uncomfortable couch. Despite his efforts, his dropping eyes were no match for the buzzing thoughts in his brain. He remembered the evening of the concert and afterwards at the restaurant, when he was given Amelia's number. He couldn't help but feel the pang of guilt in his chest, since he was too afraid to text her while in Yan's house. He knew how Yan would always huff whenever he talked about any girls he was friends with, so he was extremely careful about who he spoke to.

He couldn't change that though, so since he was finally out of that situation, he was free to talk to anyone! This thought put him at ease, finally allowing him to get some rest.

-∆-

Roderich felt like he could just sit back and let the two work it out themselves. He heard nothing from Ivan, but Amelia was telling him everything. He was shocked that he moved in right next to her, let alone that he held her hands in his. Amelia told him about her doubts, but Roderich assured her that if he was red-faced the whole time, he liked her. He'd seen it before in him, he was really bad at hiding his affections for anyone, especially Amelia, considering that he still wasn't experienced with controlling feelings if affection for someone that treats him as wonderfully as she does.

This gave her an extra boost if confidence, making her feel like she had him wrapped around her finger. She hope that she'd be able to get him to start opening up sooner, but she knew these kinds of things took he'll of a lot of time. So she promised herself that she wasn't going to push Ivan to it and let him do it himself.

She made this promise after he'd left the night before, and reminded herself when she went to the rehearsal room to talk to Roderich almost an hour after school had ended. She had completely forgotten that Ivan was there on Wednesdays for concerto practice with the two winners, mostly because when he told her she was too busy gushing over him. She remembered Lukas' little brother Emil, and Yan's cousin Leon, who did not have her, however she would see a lot of random students in her classroom during lunch and they were two of them. They were both typical teenagers, super moody, trying to fit in (Leon was better at this than Emil). But when she saw them with violins in their hands and playing music together, she was so proud of these kids for finding something they were good at, and for being so hard working and determined.

She was peeking into the room from the window in the door, then stepping back and pressing her ear against it to listen to them play. They were together, the balance between the four almost there. It seemed as though the two teens were playing louder than Roderich and Ivan. However, she figured it was since they were supposed to be the more important aspect of the performance, as competion winners. She wanted to stay and listen, but she figured she'd talk to Roderich later.

"You guys sound great, keep up the good work and we'll practice again next week. Thanks again, Ivan." Roderich said to the three and Amelia stepped back to make it look like she hadn't been sitting there listening. She walked back around a corner quietly, and waited for the two boys to walk out. She came from around the corner, and smiled at them.

"Hi Ms. Jones." Leon greeted her.

"Hi Leon, hi Emil." She waved as she continued down the hall again and walked inside inconspicuously.

Roderich looked over his shoulder at Amelia. "Hey there Amelia." He waved at her invitingly.

Ivan waved silently, giving Amelia the same sheepish smile he would always give her.

"Hi Roderich, hi Ivan. Roderich, I have to talk to you briefly, but Ivan, you might have to excuse yourself..." She smiled apologetically, however she knew if he heard he might get angry.

He nodded understandingly, and picked up his case. "That's alright. I'll see you guys later, I have to go."

The two teachers saw Ivan off, waving goodbyes and see-you-laters. As soon as the door shut behind him and he was far enough away, she immediately laughed maniacally, drumming her fingers together in a plotting way.

"It's totally working, he's going to be over on Friday, and I'm going to play for him and he's going to eat it up!"

Roderich shook his head with a laugh, tutting Amelia. "Don't get so ahead of yourself. He's slow, remember? He stays in the right lane for relationships, so be easy with him."

She sighed, "I know, I've been trying. But it's so difficult, he's always playing coy with me and it makes it harder to wrap him around my finger."

Her friend nodded in understandment. "I get it, but if this means anything to you at all, you're doing a pretty good job making him swoon. I think anyone could see it, maybe except for you."

"Yeah, yeah, 'Aloof Amelia' can't take a hint." She retorted, making finger quotes in the air bitterly.

Roderich apologized half heartedly, but continued. "Anyways, just take your sweet time with him. Your job was already made easier, since he's always liked you."

"How do you know all this stuff?" She asked inquisitively, surprised at how much Roderich seemed to be familiar with Ivan and his actions and personality.

He only shrugged, not really sure why, maybe besides just the fact that he had to keep in contact with him for a few weeks to try and get Yan out of the picture. But he realized an underlying reason he hadn't known until he had been asked.

"Well, I guess I see some of him in me. I don't know exactly what, though."

Amelia nodded, "Well, you both can be a pain in the ass sometimes." She put a hand on her hip, laughing loudly.

"You're absolutely right, but I was thinking more along the lines of humbleness."

Amelia got a kick out of what he said, slapping her knee in a fit of taunting giggles. "You, humble? You're the most flashy person I've ever met!"

Roderich defended himself indignantly, "I said humble, not modest! I'm a people pleaser like him, and I don't brag. I'm just more of a show-person." He huffed, "Don't know how he got famous, being him, but back to what I was saying! He and I both work hard to make people happy and we aren't boastful."

"Okay, I see what you're saying." Amelia nodded again, though not in a condescending way. "Alright, well, I have to get back. I have too much grading to do."

"Gotcha. Good luck with the Maestro." He joked, seeing her out of the classroom.

AN: Hahahaha roll credits. I want to let everyone know who's read this far that I appreciate you guys actually being able to stand reading up until the more recent chapters. I've gone back and read older works, and I've realized that I was not as strong of a writer, and I sometimes even thought it was cringe worthy to read my books (although I am my harshest critic). Long story short, every one of you is awesome. Have a good morning/day/evening/night!