Chapter Twenty-Three

Everything is a complete mess.

Empty pizza boxes lie strewn across tasteless checkered carpet, a stale smell hanging in the poorly-conditioned air. The file cabinets are disorderly, each sheet of paper carelessly jammed inside. A feeble electric hand fan barely manages to stand on Feathershine's desk. 

Feathershine: *sitting at her desk, head buried in a pizza box* Arghh... *swats away a fly weakly* It's so hot...

Nettlebounce: *curled up in dark corner* Shuddup. I'm trying to hibernate.

Petalpounce: *sporting a dead zombie look, the latest fashion in Feathershine's Counseling and Co.* It's the middle of summer, idiot. 

Feathershine: I wish Mottleleaf were here...

Nettlebounce: *annoyed* If you didn't have a go at her when she tried to help you counsel that depressed kit—

Feathershine: She was trying to take over my job! I'm the boss; I'm supposed to criticise her when she's doing something wrong. It's not my fault she decided to go on strike for an undefined amount of time. I'm the certified phychialogist, not her!

Petalpounce: You mean psychologist.

Feathershine: *sniffs* whatever. At least she didn't leave her grandpa here. The biggest problem now is that we aren't getting any customers and I'm broke from ordering all the pizza. 

Nettlebounce: You know, that might be because Mottleleaf is awa—

Feathershine: *snaps* Because what, Nettlebounce? What are you suggesting?

Nettlebounce endures a murderous glare.

Petalpounce: *ears twitch* I hear a customer!

Feathershine: REALLY? OHMYGOSH YES! 

A mud brown she-cat drags a younger tom into the room. The tom appears immersed drawing on a sketch pad with his pencil.

She-cat: Please help him. He's been like this for twelve moons. I've taken him to all the psychologists except you. *barely takes notice of the untidy state of the workplace*

Feathershine: *clears throat and attempts to look professional* Name?

She-cat: I'm Butterfly. This is my son, Moth. Moth, why don't you put down your sketch pad and say hello?

Moth: No! *continues drawing* I haven't got her right yet.

Feathershine: *rather bluntly* What's his problem?

Butterfly: He suffered the Rejection. A she-cat rejected him, and he's been like this ever since. He's always trying to draw her on that darn sketch pad, day and night. Apart from me, every same aged she-cat he sees he thinks is that same one. The she-cat ruined his life.

Feathershine: *taking notes* Uh huh, uh huh... Do you know the name of the she-cat? Any other information about her? Maybe arranging them to meet will help.

Butterfly: Well—

Moth: *suddenly elicits a piercing shriek of excitement (or fury. It was difficult to tell)*IT'S YOU!

Nettlebounce: *jerks awake from dozing off earlier* Heh? *a look of recognition dawns on her face* Is that you, Moth?

Moth: Nettlebounce! My love! I knew you'd come back for me!

Petalpounce: WAIT, WHAT'S HAPPENING, SIS?!

Nettlebounce: *shifts uncomfortably* Look, Moth, I'm sorry.

Moth: No more words. I think I can get this right now. *begins drawing furiously while lifting head to check on Nettlebounce's shocked expression every now and then*

Feathershine: :o

Butterfly: *dabs a happy tear* I think he can finally settle down now.

Every cat is silent for the next five minutes, waiting for Moth to finish.

Moth: I'm done! This is perfect! I've finally finished it! Thank you, Nettlebounce. *begins laughing uncontrollably*

Butterfly: Should we wait for him to stop? 

Feathershine: I have no id—I mean, yes. Definitely. Er, it all gets better after the, uh, post-revelation laughing fit.

Petalpounce: -_- That's not a thing.

Moth's laughter ceases gradually, and he looks down at his drawing, eyes glowing with pride.

Butterfly: Honey, why don't you put the sketch pad away now?

Everyone's breath is held.

...

Moth: *beams* You know what? I think I might. 

Silence.

Then, Feathershine: I DID IT! I DID IT! I CURED A PATIENT WITHOUT THAT USELESS MOTTLELEAF!

Petalpounce: *coughs* well, actually, it was just pure coincidence that my sister—

Butterfly: Well ain't you a fine young she-cat ;) Since your sister isn't interested, would you like to be set up with my son?

Nettlebounce: *bursts into laughter*

Petalpounce: *irately* Oh, come on! Why does no one get that I'm a tom?

Feathershine: That's because—

Petalpounce: *holds up a paw* No need to continue.

Written by Saph! 🍩✨