Chapter Twenty-Nine

It's a quiet day at the counseling office. Feathershine is painting her claws an ugly orange, Mottledleaf is reading a textbook quietly in a corner, mop at her side - she's ready to clean up Feathershine's spilled polish -, and Fireheart is muttering about foxes in another corner, rocking back and forth.

Feathershine: *presses her call button.* Order me five bottles of Fanta from the pizza place, please!

Nettlebounce: *presses her own button; her voice comes through crackly.* What? I can't sdhsdhsdhs hear shdshdshds.

Feathershine: *hollers* I SAID ORDER ME FIVE BOTTLES OF FANTA

Nettlebounce: *shouts back.* FIVE BOTTLES OF SANTA? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Feathershine: I SAID FANTA!

Nettlebounce: GOT IT! I'LL GET YOU FIVE BANDANNAS! 

Feathershine: NO! FANTA! WHY WOULD I GET BOTTLES OF BANDANNAS?

Nettlebounce: *to herself* I give up. I'll just get some Fanta from the pizza place to cheer her up.

Mottledleaf: *groans* That means I'm going to have to be cleaning orange out of the carpet, plus the orange from her stupid nail polish *sets down her textbook.* I might as well get started now.

Mottledleaf gets up and drags her mop bucket down to Feathershine's office. She knocks gently.

Feathershine: *drops her bottle of nail polish on the floor, ignoring that it splatters everywhere.* What do you want?

Mottledleaf: Here to clean the mess you just made. *sighs deeply.*

Feathershine: *scoffs.* Yeah, yeah. *rolls away from the spillage in her chair and starts clacking away on her computer.* 

Mottledleaf: *starts to mop over the stain and throws out the bottle.*

Meanwhile, Nettlebounce has dialed the pizza place and is sitting on hold.

Nettlebounce: *grumbles.* I hate the hold music. So boring.

Petalpounce: *picks up the phone.* This is Petalpounce, how can I help you?

Nettlebounce: Oh hey, bro. Can I get five bottles of Fanta real quick? ASAP. Feathershine is grumpy.

Feathershine: *from her office.* AM NOT.

Nettlebounce: Ignore her.

Petalpounce: Done. And by the way... have you seen Slashscar recently?

Nettlebounce: No. Just send the soda. Please. I'm begging. I think Feathershine is banging her head against the wall.

Petalpounce: *grumbles.* Fine.

A few minutes later, Petalpounce skips in carrying a large bag containing three bottles of Fanta.

Petalpounce: *calls out.* Hello? Is anyone here?

Meanwhile..

Feathershine: Want... *bang* more... *bang* soda.

Nettlebounce: *hopelessly.* She's crazy. She officially is crazy.

Mottledleaf: *heaves a dramatic sigh.* Guess I'll have to take over.

Petalpounce: *wanders into the room.* H-hello?

Feathershine: *perks up.* Soda! Finally! *takes the bag from him.* Now get lost or I'll slam your head into the wall.

Nettlebounce: I'll pay you later.

Petalpounce: *scurries out.*

Nettlebounce: *hrrumphs* That's it, Feathershine. You're too stressed. I'm ordering you, as the owner of 51% of the Feathershine Counseling and Co stock, to take a break.

Mottledleaf: Stressed? She doesn't even do anything!

Nettlebounce: *turns sharply toward the she-cat.* I am this close to firing you. Get out of here and go clean something!

Mottledleaf: *runs out before Nettlebounce can get more angry.*

Feathershine: *sniffling.* What's gotten into you?

Nettlebounce: I'm pregnant. Going to have four kittens by the end of next moon. *shrugs.* Guess my parenting instincts are kicking in.

by rio