Chapter Thirty

Ever since Feathershine took a week-long break as suggested by Nettlebounce, the office of Feasthershine Counseling and Co. had become quieter than usual. And seeing the peace and quiet from Feasthershine's absence inspired Mottledleaf to continue the counseling business...with very different results...

Nettlebounce: Finally we have some peace and quiet! It's been days since we kicked Feathershine out of this place and yet, I feel so much better...and my counseling has been making every cat's lives better!

Mottledleaf: *screeches from the other side of the room* What are you talking about?!? I'm the one who's actually putting in the work here!

Nettlebounce: Oh, yeah? Name one instance where you actually helped.

Mottledleaf: I counseled my grandfather, Fireheart to forget about Sandstone and find another cat. In no time, I'll have him completely restored to his former self...whoever that was.

Nettlebounce: Pft, and who can testify to that?

Sandstone: I can!

Before Nettlebounce can argue further, the doorbell starts ringing. 

Nettlebounce: Ooh, our first customer of the day and our third one of the week! I'll bring him or her to you, Mottledleaf.

Mottledleaf: But you just said I didn't--

The appearance of a gray tabby stops Mottledleaf from going further

The appearance of a gray tabby stops Mottledleaf from going further. His gray eyes land on the tortoiseshell before swishing over to meet Nettlebounce's golden gaze.

Nettlebounce: Hey, were you the cat that scheduled the appointment with us?

???: I am.

Nettlebounce: *puts on a forced smile* Great, it's nice to meet you Slatefoot! Just follow Mottledleaf and you'll be all set. I just need to order some pizza from my brother! 

The brown furred she-cat made a shooing motion with her paws and Mottledleaf swished her tail, gesturing for Slatefoot to follow her. 

After arriving in Feathershine's office, Mottledleaf motioned for Slatefoot to sit.

Mottledleaf: What do you need help with?

Slatefoot: I'm starting to lose my appetite these days.

Mottledleaf makes a subtle motion to Sandstone and the intern starts recording Slatefoot's words.

Slatefoot: I don't really know why either. I just feel sad and I've also lost a lot of weight too.

Mottledleaf: How much do you weigh?

Slatefoot: I'm like, 6 and a half pounds. I wouldn't know better but my housefolk used to say I was always underweight. You know, before I left them.

Mottledleaf: Hmm...

Slatefoot: I know this is hard. Nobody else I went to could help. Since I'm not a kittypet anymore, I can't just visit the twoleg doctors. And the healers don't know what's wrong with me either.

Mottledleaf: Not to worry, Slatefoot! I'll have you fixed in no time!

Slatefoot: R-really?

Mottledleaf: Some hypnotism will do the trick. As well as a good diet plan that you have probably tried already and some new prescriptions you can take to your local healer.

Slatefoot: Is hypnotism that safe? Like, I heard some rumors from--

Mottledleaf: Well, if all the healers failed you, this may be your last resort.

Slatefoot: Alright, I'll do anything! I just want to help my clan but I'm starting to feel like a burden.

Mottledleaf and Sandstone start setting up, giving Slatefoot a more comfortable chair as they extinguished the lights until nothing but candles and the shaded windows were left.

Mottledleaf: Close your eyes, Slatefoot. Good, now get rid of all your thoughts and stress.

Slatefoot: I...can't.

Mottledleaf: Do not worry, just listen to the sound of my voice. Imagine those thoughts as raindrops and drown them out until you hear nothing but the sound of quiet rain.

Slatefoot's face starts appearing more relaxed. Mottledleaf begins speaking in a quieter and steadier tone. Slatefoot cannot pick out all of the words.

Mottledleaf: Sleep...and when you wake up, you will finally be out of this nightmare. 

The tortoiseshell nods to Sandstone, who's quiet pawsteps trail away until she appears with something else--a syringe. Mottledleaf gives Sandstone another nod as she begins speaking.

Mottledleaf: Do not be afraid, you are free. You are free from the tyranny of your difficulties, free to serve your clan once more.

Sandstone plunges the syringe in. Slatefoot twists but stays still. Sandstone leaves as Slatefoot slumps to the side, Mottledleaf's face filled with satisfaction as she watches Slatefoot. After several heartbeats, she stands up and leaves.

By Legend~