Chapter 15 - Chasing Butterflies

Here we are! Another chapter! 4 more weeks and the book will officially be over! I'm counting down to the finale because I'm really excited to finish this book. I hope you guys enjoy the chapter!

Jackie's PoV

It was strange running in to Marco the way I did. It was more of a coincidence really. I went to his house to see if he wanted to hang out or something. I know how he feels about Star, and while I hate seeing him with someone else, I do want him to be happy. I wish he felt differently about me but I guess some things happen for a reason. Anyway, when j went to his house, his parents told me he wasn't there, and that he left for Mewni a few weeks ago with Star. I told them I left something in his room and I wanted to grab it quickly. They were more than happy to let me go upstairs to get it. However, the 'something' I left in his room didn't exist. I just wanted to see his room, you know, to remember how things were. I was looking around when he came back. I was overwhelmed seeing him again, it had been so long.

Now that I'm here, with this weird girl and Marco's parents, I'm wishing to be back home. I didn't even tell my parents I was coming here. "Hey, sorry, what's your name again?" I asked. "Kelly... Your Jackie, right?" She said back. "Alright, we'll do you know when Marco and everyone will be back?" I know he did this a lot, but I was nervous anyway. "Actually, I'm not sure. They have to get Star back from the rebellion." Kelly says. I can tell that Mr. and Mrs. Diaz are a little shook from the thought of Marco putting himself in so much danger. All for her... I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous. I still have feelings for him. They are getting stronger everyday too.

Marco's PoV

"Let go of me!" I yelled while Pony Head was biting my hoodie and Tom was grabbing my legs. "Marco, we're doing this for you!" Tom said. "No, your doing this for yourselves! I want to get Star! I need her!" Tom dropped my legs. "If you think we're doing this for us you're an idiot! If we let you go back there, they won't hesitate to kill you!" I yell back at him. "You really think Star would hurt me?! I know she wouldn't!" Pony Head gets angry as well. "Marco! That's not her anymore... You saw her yourself. She has bright green eyes and her cheek marks are black now... Star is gone Marco..." Pony Head begins to cry, as do I. I see Tom holding it in. "How did we get here..." Tom says. "This is my fault..." I say. "No it's not Marco... It's..." I cut her off. "Stop, okay? I know this is my fault because I let her go... I listened when her mom said everything would be okay. I'm the one who couldn't do anything to save her..." Tom and Pony Head exchange a look, and remain silent. "I let her father get killed because I let things get out of hand... It's my job to keep her safe, keep everything under control." I sit down on the ground. We're on the edge of the forest. I can see the castle. "Look Marco, I know you may think that you're the reason all of this is happening, but you're not." Pony Head follows up on that. "Yea, I mean, you're the reason why Star was safe for so long. You keep her level headed." I sigh. "That's why I know this is my fault. I should've gone with her and Moon. Things would be different." Tom let's out a small chuckle. "The only thing that would different if you went, is we wouldn't know what's happening, and you would be dead. You've been a huge help." Tom stands up and reaches out a hand. "So let's go, we've got some news for the kingdom." I grab his hand and he helps me up. "You're right, but we need to tell Roy first, Star told me that he was her baby sitter and he's gonna be crushed, but he deserves to know. We can probably get him to help as well." We walk back to the castle. I walk a bit slower then them, thinking about how I let Star down.

Jackie's PoV

We've been waiting for what seems like forever. "It's getting dark, are you sure they're coming back?" I say nervously. As Kelly about to answer, the door opens. "Guys!" Kelly says, hugging Tom and Pony Head. Marco walks in a few seconds later, alone. No Star. Kelly hugs him, but he doesn't even care. She looks at him, upset. "Marco... Are you-" Tom grabs her shoulder, shaking his head no. "Marco, I'm so sorry..." I say, hugging him. When he realizes it's me, he raises his hands and puts them around me, hugging back. I felt so... Well, great, knowing t phat he was happy to see me. "You guys wanna tell me what's going on?" Kelly says. I break from the hug, and Marco says something. "Star and Moon are both dead... At least it seems that way." Kelly tears up almost instantly. "What do you mean?" Tom grabs her shoulder. "Kelly calm down, don't take it literal. Eclipsa had cast a spell on them, and they aren't themselves anymore." She still is beginning to cry. "You guys know this?" Pony Head, on edge, raises her voice. "Well we didn't stick around to find out." She calms down, realizing what she did. "They had green eyes and they're cheek marks were black, not red." That was enough to push her over the edge. The tears were running down her face, and Marco was crying as well. Without knowing it, I felt myself crying as well. Not as much as Marco or Kelly, but I was. The Diaz's were tearing up as well. The whole room was filled with emotion. "Maybe we should all get some rest..." I say. "Yea, I think I need sleep right about now." Tom says. So, we all get as comfortable as possible, and when everyone else is sleeping, I notice Marco is sitting up, looking out the window. I let it go, not wanting to wake everyone up, and go to sleep myself.