Chapter 20 - Try to Forget

This is it! The conclusion to a 20 week long project! Enjoy!

Marco's PoV

I awake the next morning missing Star. I'm worried and Scared, and I don't have any way to check on her because she took my scissors. I listen to what Tom said though, and I let her have some time to herself. I go downstairs and eat some breakfast. It's weird, eating in my own home again. My mom and dad still asleep, not even knowing I'm here yet. I walk out of the kitchen with my bowl of cereal, and sit on the couch. It's not the same anymore though. Not without her. I look at all the movies we watched together and it only sharpens the pain I feel. My thoughts are interrupted by a ring at the doorbell.

I'm thinking to myself, who is up so early in the morning? It like... Seven in the mornings. Either way, I answer the door. "Jackie? What are you doing here?" I ask. "I just... Wanted to talk." She says. "Sure, come in... Sit." I really didn't want to talk to anyone right now, including Jackie, but I didn't want to be rude. "So?" I say, hoping she'll give some sort of explanation of why she's here. "Marco, you already know I care about you, and I don't want to come off as annoying or anything, but I want a second chance... At us..." My mind is blown. Was that really something she had to say at seven in the morning?! "Look Jackie... I wish I could tell you that I still have feelings for you, but the truth is, I'm just not 100% sure how I feel. Whenever I'm with Star, I feel like I love her... Whenever you're around, I have these... Feelings... I don't quite understand." I didn't know what to say, other than the truth. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about me and Jackie continuing to date. In fact, even when me and Star were together, I felt awful about leaving Jackie the way I did. "I get it dude. Don't push yourself to make a choice or anything, I'm not asking you to." She looks away from me and I look away from her. It feels like there's a bit of tension in the room. "Marco, do you wanna hang out today? Don't take it the wrong way, I still wanna be your friend." After I consider it, I decide there can be no harm done. Jackie is still cool, and I definitely look at her as a friend. Maybe this will help me fully understand my feelings. I know I have strong feelings for Star, but I haven't gotten a chance to really understand my feelings for Jackie. "Yea, why not?" I say. She smiles. "Awesome... I'll call you later. We can figure out what we should do then." She stands up off the couch, and looks at me one last time before leaving. "I appreciate how you still wanna be friends Marco. Just remember what I said." She left, still smiling. As the door closed behind her, I heard her hop on her skateboard. The words she said slowly echoing throughout my head. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I think mine are stronger for Star...

Star's PoV

It was one of the hardest things I've ever done leaving that house the way I did. Telling Marco I loved him, just to tell him I couldn't say what was on my mind. I want to forget about what I saw, but the image is burned into my skull. "Star... How are you dear?" My mom says. I sacrificed my own mother to save someone I loved and cared for, and for my kingdom. Does that make me a bad person? "I'm... Better. I took this from Marco's house before we left." I set down the spell book in front of her. She looked at it as if she's never seen it before. It dawns on me she really never has. "What is it?" My mom says. "A spell book. We might be able to figure out how to recover your memory if we ask this little guy who lives inside." I open the book, and skim from page to page, hoping to find him. 'Glossaryk?" I ask. The book rumbles in front of me and the pages flip frantically, and stop on one. Glossaryk rises from the text. "Star?" He says, curious as to why I called him. "How do we recover memory that was destroyed?" Glossaryk looks around, noticing the rubble, but doesn't mention it. "The orbs... Remember Star?" I cover my face with my palm, annoyed. "No... Ugh! My mom's orb was destroyed! Like completely!" I add. "Hmm, I see. Well, you can't retrieve it." He says casually, like what he is saying isn't a big deal. "What! What do you mean we can't retrieve it? We have to be able to retrieve it! It's my mom!" I can hear myself yelling, and my mom is just watching as I talk to Glossaryk. "Well, the only other way she's gonna get it back is over time. Show her pictures, tell her stories, eventually, the spell will wear off and she'll have all of her memory back." I sign with relief. At least there's some way to return it. "Great... How long does that take?" Glossaryk rubs his chin, thinking of the answer. "Anywhere between, 5-15 years." Again, I'm full, of anger. "So , that's it! That's all we can do! Wait for it to come back!" Glossaryk sighs, as he grows tired of having this conversation with me. "Star, those orbs are a lot harder to destroy them they look, are you sure it isn't just lying around somewhere? I mean, did you even look for it?" The book closes as he says that. "Mom, start moving around this rubble. We have some searching to do."