seven

It was her day off, and while she usually spent the day outdoors, today she decided on going downtown and doing a little bit of shopping

Her city had a flower shop downtown that had the freshest flowers she had ever seen. She usually bought a couple of flowers and used them as a centerpiece for her living room coffee table.

Afterwards, she walked into a cute vintage store that always had something new. This time she found an old book that had coffee stains and while it might not have been worth three dollars, Sadie thought that the story in the book was worth it.

She made her way through downtown before stopping at a café and ordering her usual iced vanilla late with a bagel and a chocolate chip cookie. The day was perfect, not too cold, so she took advantage of it and sat at the only empty table outside.

As she ate she looked out onto the sidewalk watching the people passing by. She saw a cute white dog and her eyes followed it across the street. At the streetlight on the other side of the street was a man in a green-camo jacket with a black bag in his left hand. She watched as he waited in the same place for a few minutes until another man walked up to him. She struggled to get a clear view of what was happening because of the multitude of people crowding around them.

When everyone started crossing the street, she lost sight of them. After searching around, her eyes fell on the guy once again as she saw his face. He made his way down the sidewalk with two empty hands.

Just as she got closer she was tempted to ask him for his name.

"Hey!" she yelled.

He looked over at her causing his hood to fall off. The instant his eyes met hers he rolled his eyes. "Are you going to cause me trouble? Am I going to have to get rid of you?"

"No, I just wanted to know your name, you never asked me for mine and I never got yours," she said.

"It's none of your business," he said.

She looked at her empty plate then grabbed her things and ran around the gate until she was on the sidewalk running towards the guy.

"Wait up!" She yelled. He groaned and turned to look at her. Out of breath she smiled and said, "I'm Sadie."

"And I don't care."

"I just thought you could use a friend, you know?" she said.

"I don't need 'friends'" he mimicked her gestures.

"We can all use some friends once in a while," she said.

"Yeah well look around you, there are millions of other people to be friends with, so piss off," he said as he began walking faster.

"Yeah but they're not even half as interesting as you."

"Oh really?" he stopped walking, "And what do you think is so interesting about me?"

"You're mysterious, strange, and you had a cut on your stomach, not something you see every day," she said.

"Yes and I have serious issues that you don't want to be a part of," he coldly said.

"I have issues too," she said.

"Yes I know, like deciding what to wear in the morning and what new shoes to buy," he mocked the sound of a girl.

She laughed and started walking again, "I wish."

"Well your issues are nothing compared to mine," he said.

"I wouldn't be so sure," she said beginning to turn onto the next street, "So are you going to tell me your name or not?"

"No," he said.

She shook her head as she smiled to herself and began walking towards her car.

"Let me help you with your bags," he said sighing in annoyance and walking up to her, taking her two bags for her.

"Thank you," she said. "So I saw you giving a black bag to someone. What was that all about?"

"Stop being so nosey," he said.

"Okay well, how about you tell me something about yourself?" She suggested.

"I like money."

"Who doesn't?" Sadie said looking over at him. "Why can't you tell me your name?"

"It's better if you don't know anything about me," he said as they reached her car.

"Why's that?" she asked opening the trunk.

"Those that get too close to me end up getting hurt," he said placing the bags down. She closed the trunk and looked up at him.

"So I'm guessing that's your way of saying we can't be friends," she said.

"Yup, for your own well being, you should stay far away from me," he said.

"Are you some-" she stopped herself from saying anything stupid. He raised an eyebrow but she just looked down. "Well I don't care, I still want to be your friend. I feel like we have more in common than you think."

"You're completely lost," he chuckled placing his hand on her shoulder. "You're innocent and naïve, the opposite of me."

"Please tell me your name."

"If I see you again... Maybe," he said walking backward.

She didn't know what it was exactly about him that she liked. Maybe it was his straight-forwardness, his mysteriousness, his unusualness, or the fact that he had issues and it was as clear as water that he was just as troubled as her.

It was relieving finding someone who wasn't perfect.

He might look perfect physically but the instant he begins talking you know something's wrong.