seventeen

It was 9:15AM when Sadie got to the café

It was 9:15AM when Sadie got to the café. She chose a spot to sit outside and waited for Jason. As she waited she stared out into the street, watching as more cars started filling up the street. Everyone was trying to get to work and the shops just started opening for people to start shopping. Before she knew it, she saw Jason walking towards her table.

"Morning, how was your sleep?" Jason asked.

"It was good, how was yours?" Sadie asked.

"It was okay. Did you eat yesterday?" Jason asked, as if he were really concerned.

Sadie laughed, "Yes I ate."

"Both breakfast and dinner?"

"Yes Jason, both breakfast and dinner," she replied.

"Good, that's what I like to hear," he said.

Sadie smiled and opened up her menu. She didn't have a huge appetite, but she knew if she didn't eat Jason would be on her ass about it. After a few minutes of silence and looking through their menus, the waitress came and took their orders.

"You chose a fancy ass place," Jason said.

"It's not even that fancy," Sadie said.

"Um, salmon omelet? Duck croissant? Who just casually sells a duck croissant?" Jason asked.

"Hey they have regular options on the menu too. Those are just in case you want to get fancy for breakfast. And that salmon omelet is really good," Sadie explained.

"You paid fifteen dollars for an omelet?" Jason asked, "I thought you were broke."

"It has salmon in it, it's obviously going to be more expensive than a regular omelet. Just because I'm broke doesn't mean I can't treat myself," Sadie flipped her hair as she took a sip of her water.

"Damn, Sadie over here being extra as fuck," he said, "I get it though, it feels nice to be fancy."

Sadie laughed, "Haven't you ever done anything extra?"

"No, that's too much work," he said.

"Well maybe you should, because I doubt you've ever actually felt fancy," Sadie said. She instantly regretted it because although her comment wasn't meant to be offensive, she knew he was going to get offended by it.

"I actually haven't. I think, my car is the fanciest thing I own," he responded.

"Why don't you get a fancier car? Or even a better apartment in a better part of town?" Sadie asked.

"It's a long story," Jason said, "but basically, I can't buy something without looking suspicious."

"Oh that's right... I forgot," Sadie said.

That was the beginning of a long period of silence. Neither of them spoke. The waitress came a few minutes later and dropped off their drinks and their food. They started eating, in silence until Jason put his utensils down and sat back, looking up at Sadie. He took a sip of his coffee and placed it down, continuing to stare at her.