fourteen

Sadie's morning consisted of sitting in bed for about an hour contemplating whether she was going to get up or not

Sadie's morning consisted of sitting in bed for about an hour contemplating whether she was going to get up or not. She said she would look at every day in a positive way but today she barely had any energy. Once she did get up, she took a shower, got dressed, put some makeup on, and left.

She got to the diner at 9:30AM. When she walked in, the smell of the food hit her, making her stomach feel like she had just gotten off a rollercoaster. The first thing she saw was a bright yellow beanie. To her surprise, it was Jason who was wearing it. She walked over to the booth he was sitting at and sat across from him.

"Good morning," she said to him, making him look up from his phone.

He smiled and for some reason the queasy feeling went away. He didn't always smile but when he did, Sadie melted.

"Good morning," he said.

She looked down at the menu in front of her and opened it beginning to look through it. Disgusted by all the options she closed it and decided to get the simplest thing she could think of: a stack of pancakes and a side of bacon.

The waitress came up to their table and Jason looked over at Sadie, letting her order first.

"I'll have an orange juice, a stack of pancakes, and a side of bacon," Sadie ordered.

"And I'll make my own grand slam with pancakes, bacon, eggs, make those scrambled, hash browns, sausage links, and an english muffin," he said pausing to let the waitress write everything down, "and to drink, I'll have a strawberry shake."

Sadie felt her stomach turn again. The thought of all that food was disgusting to her. She tried to ignore the feeling by holding her breath and looking at Jason. He was finally wearing something other than black.

"What happened? Did someone steal all your black clothes so you were forced to wear a grey sweater?"

He snickered and replied, "I have to do my laundry since all my clothes have hit their limit."

Sadie pictured him doing his laundry. The hormonal part of Sadie pictured him shirtless, throwing his clothes in the wash, looking like a snack but the humorous part of her couldn't picture him doing his own laundry because he probably didn't know how to. Then she noticed what he said at the end of his explanation. 'All my clothes have hit their limit.'

"Your clothes have a limit?" she asked.

"It means I already wore all of them five times so now I have to wash them," he explained.

"Um no honey, that's not how it works... You wear your clothes once, then you wash them. You don't re-wear them multiple times."

"Well, then I'll be broke because I'll have to do my laundry every week," he said.

Sadie laughed and asked, "How often do you do your laundry then?"

"Once a month," he sincerely replied, like it was something normal that everyone did.

She gasped in horror. How could someone go that long without washing their clothes? "That's disgusting, no wonder you smell."

"Shut up, I don't smell," he said.

"Oh yes you do. The entire diner can smell you," she dramatized.

"I take a shower every day," Jason said.

"Well you should change your clothes every day too. More importantly, you should change your underwear every day," she said.

"I do change my underwear every day. I own like fifty pairs of boxers," he said.

"Good," she said looking out the window that they were sitting next to. From her peripherals she could see him putting his head down as he tried to smell himself.

"Do I really smell?" he asked.

"No I was kidding," she laughed then got serious, "but you should change daily."

"I will if you volunteer to do my laundry every week," he said.

"Don't tell me you don't know how to do your own laundry?" she asked.

"I do, you just pop a tide pod in there and throw your clothes in," he replied, "I'm just too lazy to do it every week."

(PSA: please don't eat tide pods. Wash your clothes instead, nasty.)

"Well maybe that's why it's never worked out and you're still single," Sadie said.

Jason sucked his teeth and rolled his eyes, "I was never trying to be in a relationship. In fact I've never had a girlfriend so there's no way for it to 'never work out'."

"Okay."

"You don't have a boyfriend because you're too annoying and no one can stand you for more than ten minutes," Jason retaliated.

Sadie chuckled and looked down at the wrist on her watch, "That's funny because you've been here for a little over twenty minutes and I don't see you leaving."

"I'm-"

"Oh and if I recall correctly, you hung out with me this entire week, so I guess I'm not as annoying as you thought," Sadie cut him off.

"I felt bad for you. That's the only reason I hung out with you."

Sadie stared at him in silence, feeling her eyes begin to fill with water. So many emotions began running through her: sadness, anger, sickness... and before they could overfill, allowing for tears to run down her cheeks, she grabbed her purse and left. As she pushed the door open, she heard him.

"Sadie wait."

"Fuck off."

She walked to her car, got inside, and drove away.

The last thing she needed was someone else to feel bad for her. She didn't need or even want anyone's pity and maybe that's why she chose to be alone. All her life she'd been a magnet for assholes. She wasn't even surprised by what that prick said, she knew it was coming. Sooner or later he was going to really piss her off and that day was today.

She wiped her tears away as she stopped at a red light. She laughed to herself, slamming her hand on the wheel, "You're such a stupid bitch Sadie."

If it was anyone's fault, it had to be hers.

"I shouldn't have talked to him. I should've kept my little mouth shut and ignored him. Goddamnit!"

The light was still red and it had felt like an eternity.

As soon as it turned green, she slammed on the gas pedal and sped off. The street was almost empty the rest of the way so Sadie quickly got home.

The only thing she wanted to do was punch a wall, but that wouldn't solve anything and she would probably just break her hand. Instead, she did something more reasonable which was lay in bed staring at the ceiling until she fell asleep.

Sadie woke back up about six hours later with an excruciating pain in her abdomen. As the pain got worse she groaned into her pillow, rolling into a ball. She had to deal with the pain for the rest of the night until it went away.