twelve

"Hey

"Hey."

After a long pause filled with silence since Sadie had no idea that the 'hey' was directed at her and not at somebody else, the person spoke again.

"Where were you yesterday?" Sadie heard a familiar husky voice coming from behind her.

She slowly turned around to find Jason walking closer. "I called in sick," she replied before going back to pricing the items in front of her. She expected him to reply as he walked to her side but he didn't and after a long period of more silence she glanced over to look at him still staring at her.

When she quickly looked down at the box in her hand, she was surprised to feel a rough finger placed under her chin, lifting her face up and turning it in Jason's direction.

"You still look sick," he said.

She quickly looked away. This morning she tried her best to hide the dark circles and bags under her eyes. Her mouth was dry and she had to constantly reapply chapstick to her lips to keep them from cracking.

"I'm just a little tired, I had a fever yesterday and felt a little dizzy," she explained.

Jason did something he had done to her before and she savored every moment of it as his fingers pushed her hair behind her ear and slowly grazed her skin.

"You should've taken today off too," he suggested.

"The bills aren't really going to pay themselves are they?" she faked a grin as she glanced over at him again.

"I can help you out if you need to take a few days off," he said.

"I'm really fine," she said.

"Okay."

She slid the price tag off and placed another one in before throwing the old one in a bag she was carrying around.

"So you up to hang out afterward?" Jason asked.

She stopped what she was doing to look up at him, wondering why he wanted to hang out with her. There must be something semi-pleasant about her in order for him to ask. She slowly nodded letting a small smile form on her lips.

"Okay, I'll be back once it's 4," he said.

She nodded once again, watching as he walked away. She continued pricing the items that needed to be changed then afterward she took over checkout.

At four she clocked out, grabbed her things and walked outside. She expected to find Jason waiting for her like he usually was but this time, he was nowhere to be found.

She waited for a few minutes then walked to her car to put her bag down. Sadie pulled out her pink cardigan from the back of her car and put it on to keep warm.

Just as she closed the door shut and locked her car, she saw Jason running towards her. "Hey, sorry I'm a little late," he said.

"It's okay, don't worry about it," Sadie smiled.