Chapter 10

I kept running and running not daring to stop until I was far away from the pack borders. I made sure to throw them off my track by running through ponds and jumping through trees. That way they would have a hard time figuring out where my scent continued. I had ran for about an hour when I decided to stop and get something to drink. I trekked through the thick foliage looking for a river or stream to drink from.

After about ten minutes a found a stream to drink from. The cold water soothing the dry itch in my throat. I was glad to be back in the woods. I knew it wouldn't be long before I started getting weak. I knew little about the mate bond but I knew being away from your mate and not being mates would make you weak. Also your heat was another thing I had learned. I wasn't ready to be mated but being on your heat in a forest of unmated rogues didn't sound good either. However I'm sure I had plenty of time to find a safe haven before my heat started.

The part of the woods I was in right now was unfamiliar. So I decided to follow the stream. Then if I got lost I would have a way to get back. I used the suns position to determine that if I went right I would be going east. And going to the left would take me west. I decided to go to the right keeping close to the stream.

After a while it grew dark and I was tired. So I took sticks and pine needles to make a small shelter for the night. I took a fallen branch with leaves that were still alive to use as a makeshift door. I scattered dead leaves on top to keep it warm and to camouflage it. I stepped back and sure enough it looked like a tree had fallen and was beginning to deteriorate. However the inside was warm and dark. This will be perfect for a night or two. I might even be able to make this place my new safe haven. There were blackberry bushes, plum trees, honeysuckles, and sugarcane sticks. Honeysuckles and sugarcane sticks were good to nibble on, on days you never felt full.

As I was about to fall asleep I heard a nearby rustling in the woods. I made sure to stay completely still and quite. I hardly dared to even breathe. The rustling continued and was followed by whimpers and whines. Carefully I moved a few leaves that are on the "door" aside, just enough to see out of. A few yards away a small pup was stuck in a briar patch. She was small. I couldn't tell what color she was because she was caked in mud and leaves. I decided to get out and help her.

When she saw me she shyed away and cowered low to the ground. I let her sniff my hand and showed her I was just trying to help. She allowed me to get her unstuck then ran behind a tree. After a few minutes of more rustling she came out from behind the tree fully clothed. She walked up to me and stared at the ground. I bent down so I was on her level. I pointed to my mouth then made a no gesture with my hand then pointed to her. Trying to ask her if she was mute. She nodded. She pointed to herself then me then to the shelter. Asking is she could stay with me. It was my turn to nod my head yes.

We crawled into the shelter together and laid down. She snuggled up close to me to keep warm. Just like I used to do with my aunt Kathy. I put my arms around her to protect her from the cold air and cool breeze. She laid her head on her chest and fell into a deep sleep. I followed not long after her.