Chapter 1: The Shot Heard Around the Worlds

Kara paced back and forth in the living room of her apartment. Her shoes fell with hushed tones on the carpeted floor as one hand hugged the tan sweater she wore. Her other arm hung loosely at her side. A white button-down shirt and dark slacks finished the outfit. "Alex, hurry up. We're going to be late."

From the bedroom, Alex replied, "Relax, we still have plenty of time."

"Sure, if I fly there. You expect me to fly there?"

Alex wandered out of the bedroom in jeans, a green t-shirt, and black leather jacket. Boots in hand, she looked oddly at her sister. "You okay?"

"You don't even have your shoes on," Kara replied.

Alex held up her boots then wandered over to the couch and sat as she pulled them on. "Kara, just relax. I'm ready, but Maggie isn't even here yet."

"Maggie's coming with us?"

Alex nodded but didn't look up as she pulled on her other boot.

"Why is Maggie coming with us? I don't even know why you're coming with me. This is a story. I don't need a babysitter."

"I'm going because a Luthor has made some new tech. That makes the DEO nervous. I'm investigating. Luthor tech usually leads to trouble, so Maggie is showing up before someone needs to call the police. She's cutting out the middle man."

"Lena isn't like the rest of her family," Kara argued for the...she'd lost count the number of times she'd made this argument.

"Then Maggie and I will be bored, and you get to write your story, no blood no foul. Anyway, you'll want to wait for Maggie."

"Why will I want to wait for—?"As the doorbell rang, Kara turned then walked over and answered the door.

Maggie stood at the door smiling. She was wearing black pants, a gray shirt, and a black leather jack, basically a slightly dressier version of Alex's outfit. Raising the white bag in her hand to shoulder level she said, "Hey, Little Danvers. You ladies ready to go?"

"Doughnuts? You brought doughnuts? Are there crullers in there?" Kara took the bag, opening it and looking inside. Her earlier expression of annoyance verging on anger melting away as she stared at the fried goodness glazed in sugar. "I love crullers."

"Geez, anyone who's known you for more than a cup of coffee knows that," Maggie said as she strolled into the room. "We going?"

"We should head out. We don't want to be late," Alex replied as she kissed Maggie. "It's good to see you, sweetie."

"You too," Maggie replied. "Hey, you coming, Little Danvers?"

"Mmmph...crullers," Kara replied as she nodded and chewed, grabbing another cruller from the bag and following, then running back to get her briefcase before heading to the door again.

"She okay?" Maggie asked Alex.

"I think she's hangry. You came just in time with the sweets."

"Hey, what are cops for?" Maggie replied with a smile.

The trio made haste over to L-Corp. The building stood tall and strong against the blue sky, its telltale L-shape iconic in National City. Kara, Alex, and Maggie weren't here to sightsee though. Lena Luthor had some new technology to unveil. It was said to be a power source, providing ready access to inexpensive energy. Lena hinted that it was related to a favor that Supergirl had done for her, something involving bringing solar panels into space. Kara knew it well but had to feign ignorance. Of course, all of this was off the record information that Kara had before the official reveal today. Kara was all amped up and ready to get everything on the record so she could put this to print.