Chapter 15: A Day in the Shoes of Maggie Sawyer

<Author note: This takes place in our dimension with the characters from the other dimension.>

Maggie stood in the flower shop, writing out the card by hand, a small grin on her face. She finished and handed over the cash requested, managing not to grumble at the cost. She'd gotten plenty of flowers in her time. Buying them herself made a different impression...on her wallet.

With a dozen long-stem roses in hand, she headed over to the park. She imagined there was a universal truth to all dimensions. Delinquents hung out in parks. After just a few minutes of searching, she found she would not be disappointed.

Walking up to the kids in hoodies and beanies leaning against a railing with their skateboard in hand, Maggie said, "Hey, which one of you would like to make twenty bucks for ten minutes of service?"

Three kids turned, all taller than her, which wasn't a surprise, and eyed her suspiciously.

"Who's asking?" One of them replied, an Asian boy with blue hair and a pierced eyebrow.

Maggie pulled her badge out of her back pocket, holding her finger against the sensor until she felt the tell-tale vibration that marked the change from a DEO ID to her alias. She held up the badge and said, "Agent Maggie Sawyer of the FBI, and I've got a mission for you."

There was blinking and confusion, and then the blue-haired boy grinned widely and said, "Cool."

Maggie made her way to her precinct, waiting until the cop at the front desk was distracted to slide through undetected. As luck would have it, the person at the front desk was female. That would come in handy. Finding a safe spot that wasn't near too many prying eyes, but still allowed her to look like she was studying a bulletin board, Maggie kept an eye on the entry way. Sure enough, just a few minutes later, her blue-haired friend walked in. He had to wait a minute for the disruption at the front desk to clear out. Then he spoke to the cop at the front desk, being very clear with his directions, and held up the bouquet. She beamed as she took them, waving to him as he smiled back and walked off.

Maggie watched as the cop read the note, her smile only growing. Then she put the note back, walked away from her desk, and headed through the bullpen area. Maggie was hot on the cops trail but from a safe distance. She smiled and nodded at a few people who greeted her, but never lost sight of her prey. When the woman put the flowers on a desk, Maggie's smile grew into victory. She squared her shoulders and schooled her face to neutrality as the other cop turned, heading back her now.

"Oh, hey, Detective Sawyer," the cop said with a smile. "You just got a special delivery. I left it on your desk."

"Oh hey...you. Really? Something for me? Who from?"

"Well..." The cop smiled shyly. "I peeked at the card. It's from your girlfriend Alex. Apparently you have some moves. She says she's really looking forward to tonight."

Maggie rolled her eyes. "Man, she has some appetite, treats me like a piece of meat." Breaking out into a broad grin she added. "And I love it. Hey, thanks for the special delivery...O'Connor," she said after her eyes flicked to the name badge on the cops pocket.

"Anytime, Sawyer. Hey, want me to see if I can score you a vase?"

"That would be awesome. You are awesome."

Smiling, the cop walked away.

Maggie dropped into her chair. "Like taking candy from a baby. Okay, Detective Sawyer, let's see what you've got going on here." Maggie opened up the large file folder drawer of the desk, pulling out case files. She began to look through them, seeing what she felt were petty, human crimes. "Lame, weak, whatever...seriously? Someone is stealing Chihuahuas? Oh, for God's sake. Isn't there any real crime in this town?" The phone on her desk rang, and she picked it up, cradling it between her ear and shoulder. "Sawyer."