Chapter 19: Beer Is A Gateway Drink

<Author note: This takes place in our dimension with the characters from the other dimension.>

Alex rattled her apartment key, well technically Kara's apartment here on this world, in the lock with an odd smile on her face. Her day at the DEO had been the most exhilarating experience she ever remembered. Kara said the DEO on their world wasn't like this but...Kara was right of course, but what if they couldn't get back home? Why then she'd be 'Agent Alex Danvers of the DEO'. Laughing, she turned the key and walked inside.

"Who wants barbecue chickpea and cauliflower flatbreads with avocado mash?" Alex asked as she swept into the room.

"No one in their right fucking mind," Maggie said from the couch, tipping back the beer in her hand.

"Are you drinking?" Alex asked as she walked into the kitchen and began to unload her grocery bag.

"Am I conscious?" Maggie replied.

Alex shook her head, not interested in dealing with the DEO agent on their dimension and the best of times, let alone here and today. She pulled out a baking sheet and a cutting tray, walking over to the knife block but stopping. There were a dozen, long-stem red roses in a vase there.

"Why do we have roses?" Alex asked.

"Hmmm?" Maggie waved her beer around aimlessly. "Oh, I got them for you."

"You...you what?" Alex stepped out from behind the kitchen counter. "Agent Sawyer, Maggie, what did you just say?"

"Flowers...for you," Maggie said with a small smile over at Alex. Then she turned back to staring at the wall, taking another swig of beer.

Alex walked into the living room, taking a better look at the scene there. There were seven beer bottles on the table, six of them open, plus the one in Maggie's hand. An empty pizza box stood open next to two empty Chinese food take-out containers. Four, no five candy wrappers were scattered on the table and the floor along with two pint-sized ice cream containers.

"Did you eat all of this?" Alex asked, her eyes big as saucers.

"Yup."

Instead of saying it looked like her sister on a food binge, Alex walked into the kitchen and grabbed the trash can. She brought it back to the living and began to toss trash into it. When she had the room cleared, she took the trash to the kitchen and returned with a washcloth to clean the table.

"Feet belong on the floor, not the table," Alex said, pushing Maggie's feet off the table rather harshly.

"Hey, easy, I had a rough day," Maggie said as her feet hit the carpet.

"Well, I had to perform an emergency dialysis with liquid nitrogen to keep two Rimerians from exploding. What made your day so hard?" Alex asked.

"Two Aliens? You had to deal with two aliens?" Maggie asked.

Alex nodded.

Maggie snorted. "Amateur. I had to deal with..." She started counting, her lips moving as her eyes shifted back and forth. "Damn, Doc, there were over twenty of them in my face today. Some of them wanted a drink, some of them needed a rescue, some of them kicked my ass, and others are Chihuahua eaters."

"I'm sorry, what eaters?" Alex asked, sliding into the seat next to Maggie.

"My lips to God's ear, I busted a God damn Chihuahua consumer ring today. They ate the poor little things whole, alive, can you believe that?"

Alex was shaking her head in disbelief, but Maggie wasn't looking.

"Hey, Doc, do you need me to get home or do you just need my body?"