Chapter 4: We're Not In Oz Anymore

<Author notes: This chapter takes place back in 'our dimension' with the characters from the 'alternate dimension'.  I hate to be a spoiler here, but alpha readers were confused and found this helpful.  Read on, and feedback always appreciated.>

"Out of my way!" As Supergirl rushed through the emergency room, she called out, urging people out of her way. "My...friend is hurt. I need a doctor!"

"What happened?" A nurse asked as she approached hurriedly, pulling on gloves and checking Lena's head wound.

"I don't know," Supergirl admitted. "We were attacked by Livewire. There was this release of energy, and when I came to, Lena was like this. I don't think I was out long, only a few seconds. She's hurt though."

"Livewire?" The nurse looked at her skeptically. "And who are you supposed to be, Supergirl?"

Supergirl took a step back. "Of course."

"Well, you do kind of look like her, but your costume sucks. No offense. Bring your friend in here." She turned away from Supergirl as she pointed out a stretcher on which to put Lena and called out. "I need a doctor. I've got a female, early to mid-twenties, head injury with a laceration. Pupils are reactive to light, but the female is unresponsive to external stimuli."

As other medical professionals crammed around, assessing Lena's condition, Supergirl stepped back. She looked down at herself then turned to inspect her reflection in the glass door. Her costume was dark blue tights from head to toe. The interior of her cape was dark blue and the exterior a dull silver. On her chest was the stylized L of Luthor Corp and within it the S for the House of El in silver. It looked the same as it had for many years. It was a symbol of hope and unity. It was the joining of two great families and meant 'Stronger Together' though most people didn't really understand how these families were joined.

Stepping back, Supergirl shook her head and said to herself, "What's wrong with my costume?" It didn't matter. One nurse's opinion didn't matter. What mattered was getting home, getting changed, and getting back to the hospital as Kara so she could take care of her wife.

Kara landed on Lena's balcony at Luthor Corp. She and Lena both kept several changes of clothing here but for different reasons. Lena worked late, had business meetings, often needed to go from work directly to dinner, or had any other number of reasons for multiple changes. Kara sometimes just shed her clothes to fly off and deal with a burning building or some such emergency. Both excuses were valid.

"Why is everything moved around in here?" Kara said as she stomped around in Lena's office, her temper rising though actually it was just her concern for Lena.

Voices from outside drew her attention, and she used her x-ray vision to scan the hallway. It was Maggie and Alex being stopped by security and sent back the way they'd come. Supergirl actually felt better seeing a friendly face, though she was surprised to see Alex turned away. Her sister should have been able to get in. Family was always seen through.

Heading out the balcony, Supergirl descended to the ground and awaited Alex and Maggie below. "Dr. Danvers," she said with a smile and then much more coolly, "Agent Sawyer."

"Yeah, I'm thrilled to see you too," Maggie replied. "Look, something weird is going on. We should all go find a private place to talk."

"I need to get to the hospital. Lena's hurt," Supergirl replied.

"Maggie's right. This is important, Supergirl."

Seeing her sister and Maggie agree, Supergirl nodded and the trio headed into a nearby alley. "Okay, is the world about to end? I'm pretty sure it takes an extinction level event to get you two on the same side of something, and I don't use the phrase extinction level event loosely."