Chapter 2: We're Not In Kansas Anymore

It was over an hour later before Kara caught up to Maggie and Alex back at the apartment.

"There you two are," Kara said as she stepped in through the window. "I thought you were trying to ditch me. Did you track down Livewire?"

"Kara, sit down," Alex said as she paced the room.

"Kara sit down?" Kara repeated, instantly anxious. "That's your difficult news voice. You save that voice to tell me when pets die and when you're coming out. You can't come out again, and we don't have any pets, so what's going on?"

Maggie strolled into the living room with two bottles of water in hand. "See. Your stress is stressing her out, Danvers. You have stress, and she'll have super stress. Just chill."

Alex took a water bottle, eying it critically. "This isn't beer."

"Really?" Maggie looked at the bottle in her hand. "Hey, you're right. Man, we could have made a detective out of you."

Putting the water bottle down on the coffee table, Alex said, "Get me a beer. If I have to deal with this, I'm not doing it without beer."

"There is no beer," Maggie replied.

"What!?" Alex rushed into the kitchen, rummaging through the fridge. "Who's food is this? There's no leftover Chinese food and no pizza. It's all vegetables and tofu. There's no beer, just thick juice and..." Alex's voice petered off as she wandered back into the living room and sat on the couch. "I think a vegetarian bought that food. This is all just so...crazy."

"Uh...what's going on?" Kara asked.

"Are you going to tell her, or should I?" Maggie asked.

"I will, but...it's just so crazy!" Alex repeated.

"Okay, well while this is so crazy, and Alex is freaking out about the food which is weird, I'm going to go change into something that makes me look less like a superhero. Anyway, three people have been critical of my costume today. Can you believe that? One person even called it classic."

"Uh, Kara, you uh...you can't because..."

Moments later, Kara wandered back into the living room. "What happened to my room?"

Alex and Maggie exchanged an uncomfortable silence and then Alex replied, "You don't live here."

Head pushed forward, Kara waited for the punchline and then said, "Uh...yeah, I do."

"Uh, no, you don't," Maggie said, mocking Kara's inflection. "Something major happened, Little Danvers. It doesn't look like we're in Kansas anymore, Toto."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Kara looked at her sister. "Alex?"

"You remember how you went so fast and you went to that other earth with those other superheroes?"

Kara nodded.

"Well, we're not there, because you said you didn't exist there, but we're somewhere else."

"Where?" Kara asked.

"I don't know," Alex admitted taking a sip of her water and then putting it down with an unhappy face. "When Maggie and I were leaving the roof, we grabbed your bag, but I noticed it looked weird. The color and shape were wrong. I looked inside it, and your wallet was different. I thought maybe I had the wrong purse, not that anyone else was up on that roof, but I just wanted to check the driver's license to be sure. That's when it got weird." Alex paused, taking a deep breath and letting it out. "Kara, it was your picture and your first name, but your last name was Luthor."

"Shut up!" Kara said, looking around for the bag but not finding it until Maggie pointed it out. Kara dumped the bag out, pushing the unfamiliar contents around until she found the wallet within. She hurriedly opened it and stared at the license, the one with her picture, and the name Kara Luthor. Kara gasped, looking from the license, to her sister, to Maggie, back at the license, then repeating the process twice more for good measure. "No! What...? How...? I don't understand."