Chapter 1

Pt. 1

Chapter 1

Jane looked into her tea; the smell of scarlet roses filled the air. The brown tea reflected her canted, black eyes and long, dark hair. The wind gently blew, rustling the leaves of all the trees surrounding the marble patio. Jane closed her eyes and sipped her tea, thinking. "We need a way to kill the strong factions of the King and Queen," Jane said slowly, opening her eyes, looking at her black bat who was shoveling pastries in his mouth.

"We should wait a little longer and continue having that prince spy on the royal family," said the black bat with keen yet friendly eyes.

"Velvet, it's been fifteen years since the massacre. Time is not of an essence. I have waited long enough. The sooner I dethrone the Crosses, the sooner I can reclaim what is mine, and the sooner I can undo what has been done."

"Patience is a virtue you have yet to learn, and it will not be easy to dethrone the ruling monarch by simply killing off their supporters one by one. The plan must be more developed and involved."

"When they killed my family, the Crosses were ruthless, murdering a whole clan within one night. In the position that I am in now, I can't afford to do the same. We don't have enough loyal supporters to the former ruling family. They have all been scattered and replaced by noble families loyal to the current monarch. The only way of achieving our goal is by killing those supporters off."

"You have yet to find their weakness. Once you do, you then can act without hesitation."

As Jane and Velvet finished their conversation, a dark figure loomed out of the shadow of the tree. The figure lifted its hood to reveal shoulder length, light blonde hair. Jane stood up, and curtsied. "It is about time you came, my prince. What news did you bring me?" questioned Jane anxiously, pulling her long, shiny black hair out of her face.

"Did you bring what you promised me?" asked Velvet while eating a slice of cake.

"On the 17th of May, the Queen is hosting a birthday soiree. The Duchess Elise of Rubaine will be attending. This would be an excellent opportunity to eliminate one of the King and Queen's strongest supporters just like you planned," he said, pulling a scroll tied with a bow out of his cloak. "And your extremely talented and exceptionally handsome spy managed to procure an invitation for you," He said with a flourished bow.

"I do wish that you would take this more seriously, Prince Collin. You do know what would happen if they suspect anything. There is too much at stake here. There is no room for any mistakes," complained Jane.

"Prince, I believe you promised me the freshest pastry from the royal kitchen!" demanded Velvet.

"Indeed I did. Here you go, Velvet," said the Prince with a smile that revealed snow white teeth as he pulled out a slice of apple pie.

Prince Collin, the younger brother of the Crown Prince of Tuscania, was an average height and had a lean frame. He had his shoulder length, light blonde hair tied up with a black ribbon. As usual, a mischievous smile would flicker across his lips. Being around the same age as Jane, Collin grew up with Jane and they became friends over the years.

"Hmm, very well Prince Collin, you may go. I shall be there at the soiree, though do you have an idea in mind for killing the duchess?" questioned Jane as she and the prince strolled down the torch lit hallway.

Jane's palace was very opulent and well furnished. Even though everything was very beautiful, she disliked the bright colors of the hall. The Crosses had raised her alongside their sons, hoping that she would later marry the eldest prince. Unexpectedly, after Jane discovered her true origin by mistake, she decided to separate herself from royal family. The Crosses had agreed and moved her to her own palace not far from the Royal Court itself. They made sure she never left unless going to a formal meeting or court gathering. They gave her every luxury a human would want in hope that would lessen any chances of a mutiny from Jane.

"Poison is the best solution. Simply put the poison in the duchess' cup." said the prince with a grin.

"Very well, poison take cares of the problem and is not untidy," said Jane, nodding her head. After the prince left, Jane reclined to her library. She comfortably sat herself in the velvet chair that was facing towards the fire place. While she was sitting there, staring into the flames, she saw her younger self in the same room. The room in the image was somewhat brighter and had shelves of books towering over her. Her study now was shadier and gloomier. Her smaller self was running around behind the very same velvet chair that she was sitting in. Soon a voice the was smooth and calming called the small child towards the figure in the chair. After that, Jane regained consciousness of her surroundings when there was a slight knock on the door. Jane opened it to find her closest friend, Velvet, with a grin that revealed crumbs.

"Jane, can I come in?" asked Velvet. After a slight nod from Jane, the black bat flew in the room and perched on one of the armrests of Jane's chair.

"You will be under close surveillance at that party. How will you ever poison the cup undetected?" asked Velvet wonderingly.

"Well, Collin is to poison it. There is nothing unusual with him going into the kitchen saying he needs something, and while he is there, he will pour the poison into the goblet of wine," replied Jane.

"But will not he be watched by everyone attending the ball, not to mention the Queen and his brother, the Crown Prince?"

"You are right, but no one else can do it. If he gets caught, there will not be any connection to us."

"Very well then, I hope it works out."

***********************************************************************************************************HI my very first time I've written a book. I hope you guys like it.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

I want to give a special thanks to my team of editors: Emily C., Emma D., Ruth H., Ashley N., Alex A., Chris M., and Sabrina Z.