Chapter 21

Ch 21

That evening, at the royal palace, the Queen sat by the window and watched the rain pour outside. Looking in the mirror, she saw her reflection. Her eyes were red from crying and there were dark rings under her eyes from stress and exhaustion. The death of her husband was too much. Lance is leading an investigation for the cause of death, but so far it has been fruitless. It was as if the King just collapsed dead. The news must not spread to people, it will just cause even more chaos. If the news spread to the other duchies and nobles, they will threaten Lance's life because he has not fully establish his reign as king. It was the night before that the King died. He was sitting in the garden, reading, when he let out a choked scream and collapsed. Lance and Aaron saw what had happened and ran to their father, only to find him dead. The royal physicians immediately did an autopsy to find him in perfectly good health. There was no poison, no toxins. He died in perfect health. Jane, it must have been her. She is the only one that could have done something like that. She has the motive and she has a wide knowledge of medicines and poisons. No one I send to eradicate that weed ever succeeds. I have to take matters into my own hands. I have no choice I have to do it myself to keep this country from falling apart. I have to kill her myself.

Early the next morning, Collin and Aaron sat in the dining room, waiting for breakfast to be served. They both wore black. Aaron was reading his book while Collin sat twiddling his thumbs. After a few minutes, Lance climbed down the stairwell. Aaron looked up from his book. "Lance, have breakfast with us. We have not seen you since yesterday morning. You should eat a little. That way you can think clearer while investigating."

Lance nodded his head and pulled up a chair between his brothers. He felt exhausted. He had been in the coroner shop all night, looking for anything that could help him find his father's cause of death. He should be working now, but Aaron was correct, he would not be able to think clearly on an empty stomach. He had to be at peak conditions. Soon, the maids brought out a basket of assorted pastries and plates of jams and toast. The three brothers ate in silence.

Halfway through, Collin wiped his mouth with a napkin and excused himself. Aaron just nodded, but Lance lifted an eyebrow. "Where are you going?"

"Oh, I am meeting with the City Guard today. They need to report about the usual security protocols." Collin replied.

Lance looked at Collin a moment longer and nodded his head. Collin smiled at headed out of the room. He quickly walked to the stables to find Kieran saddling up their horses. "Let us hurry. I think my brother is onto us." The two headed out of the palace gates and headed to Jane's estate. As the horses galloped, Kieran made his horse match Collin's pace so they were next to each other.

"Collin, I am sorry for the loss of your father. I would have told you yesterday, but I did not get the chance to see you." said Kieran.

"Do not worry about it. He and I were never close. His death does not bother me. Now if only my mother would collapse also." Collin smirked and Kieran frowned. He treasured his parents. They cared him and taught him. The death of his father was a tremendous loss for him. It was unfortunate his friend Collin, did not receive that same love from his family.

Meanwhile, back at the palace, after Lance watch Collin leave, he also stood up. He decided he was going to follow his brother. He followed Collin as he went to the stables. He saw a servant saddling Collin's horse and handing him the reign, but then the servant mounted his own horse and followed Collin as they rode their horses out of the stables. Lance waited a little longer and then readied his own horse. He slowly followed them, being sure to keep a good distance between them. Soon Lance watched as the cane to a fork in the road. The town was to the east, but Collin and the servant headed west. Lance's face darkened. He knew where his brother was heading to, Jane.