Chapter 19

Chapter 19 

Once the tow reached the dining room, they found the other two princes impatiently waiting for them. "I'm glad the two of you decided to join us finally. I was going to ask the guards to go see if anything happened." smiled Aaron. "I am happy to see you two aren't glaring at each other." Collin silently looked away. As Jane and Lance took their seats, servants began bringing out plates of roasted quail.

After a silent evening, Collin walked Jane back to her room. When they reached Jane's room, Collin closed the door behind them. "Jane, when will we leave for Andorra? This is taking too long."

Jane walked over to a window and opened it to allow a wave of moonlight to fill the room. Jane looked out the window as a breeze blew through her hair."Soon, lately there have been too much suspicion due to the death of the duchess. If we leave now, people will begin to question us. The country is under too much tension. If anyone of us, members of court, make so much as a move, all eyes will be on us."

Collin looked back at Jane and saw that she had closed her eyes. "Very well." She looked so beautiful. he wanted just to touch her and feel her soft, red lips. He couldn't control himself. He found himself wrapping his arms around her, and burying his face in her hair. She smelled divine, like a combination of roses and vanilla.

Jane froze, shocked. "Collin, let go of me." After no reply from Collin, Jane turned around and tried to push him off of her.

"Please Jane, don't push me away. I love you. You do love me don't you? You have led me on for so long." With one final shove, Collin finally was forced off by Jane.

"Collin, you know I don't want this! Don't do this to yourself, to me. I don't love you. We are close friends, but nothing more, nothing less." Jane moved away from Collin. "So please stop this. It will only complicate things." said Jane as Collin began approaching her. "I-"

Before Jane could finish, Collin grabbed Jane's face and forced his lips against hers. Jane once again struggled to push Collin away. In vain, Jane slapped Collin. "Stop!" yelled Jane.

Collin stood back enraged. "It's because of Lance, isn't it? You still love him." His voice was almost a whisper.

"No, I do not. I do not love anyone, not right now."

"You will have him, but not me? What does Lance have that I don't? Yes, I am not the crown prince, but I can still give you everything you want. End this quest of yours to regain your throne. Just be with me. I can love you so much more than Lance ever will."

"I don't love any of you. Do you not understand? To me, love is a waste of time because it simply does not exist. There is always a cost. So end this nonsense. Stop loving me because I will never love you. If this continues, I don't ever want roses you again."

Collin stopped, looking hurt. "Very well, I'm sorry. I got carried away. Please forgive me." With that, Collin hurried out and slammed the door behind him. Jane remained standing there, her eyes on the door, and her heart beating rapidly in her chest.

Collin walked down the torch-lit hallway. What was he thinking? Their friendship was now unstable. Collin grew frustrated with himself, but then he touched his lips. Maybe he didn't necessarily regret all his actions. Turning around the corner, Collin saw Lance leaning against the wall in front of his room. "Lance, what brings you here at this hour?"