Chapter 2

Chapter 2

            Soon the day of the soiree came rapidly; the nobles attending were dressed flamboyantly and elegantly. There were feathers, jewelry, makeup, diamond rings, and other accessories.  As Jane’s carriage slowly pulled up to the gates of the huge palace, Jane was greeted by Collin, who was smiling politely. 

        “Good evening, Lady Jane,” said the Prince, smiling mischievously with a playful twinkle in his eye. “Your crimson dress matches your eyes wonderfully.”

           “Thank you, Your Highness, is everything in place?” smiled Jane.

             “Yes everything is ready. We’re just waiting for the right moment,” replied the Prince pulling out a small vial of black liquid from the pocket of his military uniform. Before Jane could slowly be escorted by Collin halfway up the carpet cover stone stairs, they were greeted by a young handsome man also dressed in a military uniform. Jane smiled charmingly while trying to suppress an ugly scowl.

                  “Good to see that you could come tonight, Jane. Mother was hoping you would,” smiled the man. “Oh Collin, Father is looking for you. I will escort the lady.”

                         “Good to see you too, Crown Prince. Lance, how is everything?” solemnly asked Jane, hesitantly taking the Crown Prince’s outstretched arm.

            “Everything’s all right, except for my bothersome brother, Collin, and my annoyingly quiet other brother,” replied Lance. “My father refuses to die and my mother is persistently nagging.” 

Prince Lance, the eldest of the three princes, was the Crown Prince. He has short blonde hair, dark brown eyes. His younger brothers are considered inferior compared him, and he often looks down on them. He is very arrogant and clever. He regards his reputation as more important than anything else.

            “I should warn you, Prince, do not regard your family so lowly or they might be your very demise,” Jane smiled wickedly.

            “Wise words, Jane. You would make a great queen that is, if my parents would let a vampire rule the land. I do not even understand why they even spared you on the night they killed your vampire coven.”   

              “Be quiet, human! Your family is strong, but not as strong as mine! Your family will lead the Tuscian Empire into its own destruction!”

                 “Watch your mouth, Jane. You forget that we are the only ones that know the real you. And furthermore, you are talking to the Crown Prince.”

                They continued in silence from then on. As they walked in, they heard the sounds of cheerful music and laughter. The crisp smell of roasted boar wafted through the air. Jane and Lance made their way down the red carpet to greet the King and Queen. As they walked, there were vibrant tapestries bearing the coat of arms of all the barons. The marble walls and floors were made of glistening, white marble. The hall was brightly illuminated by a giant chandelier in the middle.  

            “Ah! Lady Jane, how good to see you could come!” exclaimed the Queen, as Jane and Lance walked forward.

            “How are you Jane, everything well in your castle?” asked the King tiredly while staring at his wine goblet. The Queen, Arianne Lovena, was tall and had long black hair.   As the eldest princess of the neighboring country, she was engaged to Galeno Cross since birth. She was very intellectual and a difficult individual. She is rather sullen at times, but she does take pity. She and her husband complement one another and that is what makes them powerful.

            The King, Galeno Cross, had silver hair. He assumed the Tuscian throne at the age of the eighteen after his father’s death. He always consults his wife before making a drastic decision. He was often quiet and prefers to have his wife executes his plans.

            Jane smiled and replied, “I am quite happy I can come. Everything back at the castle is going perfectly,” she said trying not to grind her teeth.

              “Father, Mother,” Lance bowed as the King and Queen nodded.

                 Lance led Jane to the dance floor where they danced silently. The waltz song had an eerie sound to it. The chatter around the room and the brightness of the illuminated room irritated Jane. Her closeness to the Crown Prince made her uncomfortable as she recalled several memories.  She wondered how she was able to attend these parties back when she lived at the palace, but concluded that many things had changed since then. As soon as the dance was over, Collin excused himself and walked Jane over to the alcove. They walked in silence, stopping occasionally to greet people that actually noticed them. Once they were at the alcove, Jane asked if everything was ready.

            “Yes, everything is in place. Just be prepared for a scream and much commotion,” smiled Collin. 

               Just then, almost as if on cue, a scream rang out from the ball room. Jane glanced at Collin and gave him a quick smile. She then quickly changed her character and feigned panic. The King and Queen’s guards were running in all directions to protect them. People rushed in great commotion in every direction. Jane and Collin made their way over to the center of the ruckus. There they saw the dead duchess’ body sprawled on the floor with a goblet rolling out of her hand. Soldiers guarding the Crown Prince lead him to the scene. After Jane was through observing her massive victory, and Lance, observing the corpse, lifted their heads, their gaze met. Jane’s eyes glowed with success and Lance knew what had happened. Jane broke the gaze with the sound of the royal physician, coming to attempt to save the duchess.

               “We should probably go now,” remarked Collin.

                 “I’ll meet you later.”

                  “Agreed,” said Jane. “Very well done, Collin.”

            The two started to make their way out of the crowd and over to the gate, when the Crown Prince intercepted them. “Jane, leaving so soon, you’re going to miss the cake?” inquired the Prince.

            “Well, Prince Lance, you should know that all cakes taste the same, therefore I wouldn’t be missing a--.” said Jane, anxiously before getting cut off.

           “Why did  you kill her?” the Prince asked.

                       With a smile Jane said, “What makes you think I killed her?” 

          “Well, the duchess was an alcoholic and probably annoyed you, or maybe it was simply because she’s key to the economy of this country.”

            “Either way, Prince, you have no proof that I killed her, so I should be leaving now,” retorted Jane as she quickly turned on her heels.

              “Oh Jane, you are invited to join me for a picnic tomorrow. I sincerely hope you can come. Aaron is returning tomorrow” said the Crown Prince before Jane could take another step.

            “I wouldn’t miss it for the world,” smiled Jane as she looked back. 

           “Milady” Lance said with a bow and kissed her hand. “Good night.”

              “Your Highness,” returned Jane. “Likewise” "

********************************************************************************************************

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Second Chapter!!! HOPE you will continue to support my book. Please Vote!!