there's a pattern!

Just like any other human being (or teenager with crazy emotional instability because hormones bruh), I could get frustrated, get miserable, get disappointed and -you know, just experience these emotions that are totally normal to feel yet not the kind of emotions you probably always want to feel because they could hurt so much that your heart literally feels heavy. And after the preaching at church last Sunday about Jesus being Lord and turning away from idolatry, I noticed a pattern!

You guys see, most of the time, one's  frustrations, hurts, disappointments and wrong decisions in life OFTEN COULD BE LINKED TO IDOLATRY.

Idolatry just clouds our judgement, keeps us astray from the paths we're supposed to take, gives us desires that are not aligned with what God wants for us, makes us dependent on temporal things and most of all, DISTRACTS US FROM FIXING OUR EYES ON GOD.

Maybe some of you right now are Christians and yet you feel like you could not relate to other Christians who speak about finding so much joy and contentment in God and now you're so confused and you just want to experience what others are experiencing but...you can't.

I tell you this: maybe it's time for us to examine our hearts. Are we being a slave to idolatry? Are there strongholds to be broken? Because as long as we allow ourselves to be soooo attached to these things, we are depriving ourselves from experiencing more of God.

Some indications that one could be a slave to idolatry:

-you think your happiness or your self-worth depends on it

-you feel like you are going to die without it

-you find it more satisfying than God (when in fact, there is NOTHING more satisfying than Him)

-you treat it as your God

It's time to let go of whatever is stopping you from growing. I myself have to be honest with you, the idol of approval is something that I struggle with, but whenever that kicks in, I always get reminded of my worth in Christ. The struggle is real but so is God :)

Let's keep searching our hearts and keep getting rid of the things that are not good for us and for our growth. Let's seek God more.

And I tell you this, when you start seeking God, your flesh DOES NOT always oblige. Like when you are praying or reading the bible, the flesh will be like, "Stop! Stop! Just go and check your social media accounts instead."

It's going to be a struggle at first, but you will get used to it. God has always been knocking on your heart, just open it for Him and in Him you will find contentment

Jesus Himself said, "I am the Living Water. Whoever drinks of Me will never be thirsty again."

So whatever it is -be it pornography, food, a person, drugs- whatever it is that you are a slave to, just drop it. It's being unhealthy to you. If you want to go to the next level, drop it.

It's okay to have a social media account, it's okay to have fun, it's okay to go on Netflix, it's okay to love something -just DON'T compromise the Gospel and just don't let it get in the way of your relationship with God. Otherwise, you are just short-changing yourself big time.

If you are struggling with idolatry, just repent and turn to Him, because He is faithful and just and will forgive you. In fact, He wants to always help us and His grace is more than enough to renew us. All of us. We can do it through Christ who strengthens us!