September Morning

The next week when Morgana woke up, she leapt out of bed and ran straight to her suitcase, making sure everything was packed before she pulled on black leggings and a denim shirt. It was the first of September, and she was delighted to be going back to school.

            Most children don't care for the first of September, but it may have been the best day of Morgana's year. You see, when your school is an enormous castle with secret passages, moving staircases, killer trees, classes where you're taught to brew potions and cast spells, and a sport you play for leisure which involves flying fifty feet into the air and dodging flying cannonballs - yeah, then, going back  to school is pretty wicked.

Morgana raced down the staircase, pulling her wild, dark hair into a ponytail as she went. "Morning Ginny!" She cried as she bolted two slices of toast. Harry walked into the kitchen, laughing. "Relax, we still have two hours." Morgana laughed with him. "I know, it's just - I'm so excited!"

Harry drove them to King's Cross Station, and they picked up Teddy on the way. With a rush of nostalgia, Morgana approached Platform Nine and Three Quarters. Teddy and her both ran through and hopped onto the train at the other side, hugging Harry goodbye. Morgana sat in her normal compartment with Emma - they got chocolate frogs and laughed when Emma opened a card with the famous witch Morgana on it, they giggled and told stories, they dared each other to eat Every-Flavour Beans. But there was a tension in the air, and Morgana knew why.

It felt like no time had passed until the first Hogsmeade trip was announced. "Do you still want to go together?" John asked Morgana nervously. She faked a smile. "Course," she replied, shrugging - but she was beginning to regret agreeing to go with him in the first place.

             But there was no going back. So, on a bleak September morning, Morgana trekked down the path to the gates of the school, where students queued to go to Hogsmeade. "Morgana!" A flustered voice called out. She spun around to see John standing there. "Oh, hey Johnny." John looked very nervous. "Are you ready to go?" He asked anxiously. Morgana raised her eyebrows. "Well, I'm standing in line waiting with my permission form, so I guess so?" Johnny blushed. "Oh - right...yeah, I guess so."

           Half an hour later they were strolling along the streets of Hogsmeade, the autumn wind blowing Morgana's hair back gently as she walked. "So, um, where do you want to go first?" He asked her. Morgana shrugged. "Wherever you want." John looked apprehensive. "Do you want to go to Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop?" He suggested. Morgana pulled a face. "What about we just go to the Three Broomsticks?" She responded, implying her distaste for the frilly, pink tea shop. Johnny looked relived. "Ok," he breathed.

            He held open the door for her and she walked in, sitting down at a table for two in the corner. "Butterbeer?" He asked Morgana, and she nodded. "Yes please. Look, Johnny, I'll pay for mine," she told him. Johnny shook his head quickly. "I thought we agreed that this was a date? You can't pay for it if I'm taking you on a date!" He said indignantly. The waitress came and he ordered two butterbeers, passing her the money before Morgana could object.

When their butterbeers arrived, they just sort of sat there awkwardly for a moment, sipping the frothy golden brown liquid. Morgana was filled with a warm rush of sugar. Butterbeer was definitely her favourite drink. "So...um, Care of Magical Creatures was interesting yesterday, wasn't it?" John asked, trying to make conversation. "Yeah, really good," Morgana replied half-heartedly.

This was too weird. It just didn't feel right. The two of them were great friends, but now Johnny was being so formal, so polite, so strange. Morgana finished her buttetbeer and sat back against her chair, sighing. John pointed at her cheek. "You have a little bit of froth just, like - yeah, almost, no.."
Morgana moved her hand over her cheek, trying to find it. John leaned forward. "No, just there." He wiped the froth off her cheek. Morgana laughed lightly, but it sounded slightly forced. Johnny leaned in slowly and kissed her gently on the cheek.

Morgana sat there, looking horrified. John sat back up straight, looking similarly horrified. "Yeah, well... that was pretty awkward," he said, summing up the whole date, not just the kiss. Morgana nodded and shuffled a little further away from him. "Yeah - Johnny, I'm not exactly sure this whole "date" thing is going to work," she told him tentatively. "I think we're better off as friends." John nodded, looking pale. "Yeah...that felt a bit...." he searched for the word. "Wrong," Morgana finished. "It felt wrong." Johnny nodded. "It did. Let's finish this "date" as friends, yeah?" He suggested. Morgana nodded. "Definitely."

It was great. Morgana and Johnny had a great time. They visited Honeydukes and had a field day stuffing their faces with chocolate and Every Flavour Beans, before walking back to Hogwarts and sitting talking under a tree. "Yeah, let's never date again," Morgana said. "Never." John laughed and nodded. "Sounds like a plan!"

That evening Morgana walked back into the Gryffindor dorm. Emma was sitting on the arm of the sofa talking to Scarlett when Morgan walked over to them. "Well?" Emma said sarcastically. "Romance of a lifetime, I'm guessing?" Morgana shook her head. "Friendship," she corrected her with a laugh. "And stating that way."

A/N

  Hi! I just wanted to say:

Thank you SO MUCH for 400 reads and 90 votes! In comparison to some other fanfics that's not much, but it makes me feel good that that many people have read my work. Thank you all so much!